🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can I take your order?

Started by
22 comments, last by webspynner_99 24 years, 2 months ago
What is one aspect that you would like to see in a game? Please, limit it to only one. Personally, the one aspect I would like to see in a game is an real use for all the sniper rifles they give you. I want to see a mission where you sit up in the bell tower, look down on the crowd, and assassinate the evil terrorist guy. One shot, one kill, that sort of thing. Sure, after that you could have a big action sequence because all of his bodyguards saw where the shot came from, but just once I would like to see a real use for the sniper rifle in a game. "YOU APES WANNA LIVE FOREVER?" Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein "Who wants to live forever?" Queen "Never trust a bald barber" me B^)
Advertisement
What I want to see in a game? Ever read an entire book series from start to end? Like The chronicles of Thomas Covenant, all six books within a week/weekend? That''s usually too much for me, in terms of emotions, not time. It ends, and you feel all empty inside for a while.
That''s what I want in a game. Usually they''re about upping your stats, fragging the next guy with a high framerate, or generally point-click-go eat supper.
I think there''s a long way to go, though, before we''re there. Hope I get my point through.

A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
I know what you mean. I have yet to play a game that really kept me thinking afterword.

Right on about them thar'' polar bears.

"YOU APES WANNA LIVE FOREVER?" Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
"Who wants to live forever?" Queen
"Never trust a bald barber" me
B^)
FF7 kept me thinking afterwards.. it''s story was incredible! The whole emotion of Aeries, Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth- they were all way too much to handle... I at the end of the first disk, it was so emotional! FF7, I think, is one of the best RPGs. Basically, I think the emotional factors should be captured in a game to make it good.

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Ah yeah, can I have large fries and a large coke, please.
Styles
I am glad too see that some people do appreciate the emotional factor of entertainmnet.
This is something that my fledgling group will hopefully address soon. I think character design is of utmost importance and to truly immerse the player, they have to have an emotional attachment to the character so they are compelled to live vicariously through that character and want to solve that character''s problem.

How come we don''t play games and sit back and wonder why we were touched by the emotional experience of the game. Movie producers can do this. I know, I know... movies are passive and linear. But I still beleive we can touch the player in many ways including music, sound, character movement and facial expressions, etc. etc. ...

You have to make all these things work together so that the player can identify with the charcter of the game. I want my (hopefully future) players to feel a sense of loss if their character dies or encounters pain in any way (not necissarily physical pain) rather than saying "Oh well, killed again, glad I saved the game"

Just my thoughts.
L8R

---rroach---
My fledgling group is doing the same thing too =) It is
nice to know that we are both working on something similar
=) I wish us both all the luck because we are going to need
it =)

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
The point about emotions is a very good one, but to me the best element you could get was a RPG, one character you control, with a REALLY GOOD sword fighting interface, where you jab, slice thrust and parry your way through combat, while fending off blows with your enormous kite shield... or something like that... I''ve been considering how you''d do an interface like this without overcomplicating...
any ideas?

J2xC

------------------------------
About time I put something funny here? I think so too...
J2xC (J. Connolly) Ah! By popular demand, I shall no longer resist...
I would like to see a real cool user interface. i mean one that has never been done before that is totaly orignal. not the same old menu system.

(i think that sword interface could be done with the mouse. just move the mouse where you want the tip of the sword to go, and left mouse button jabs, right button slashes)

- Moe -
emotions playing a game ? try systemshock2 ... in dark room ... definitely alone .... you will surely be thinking afterwards, maybe never forget ...

btw, in some cases its possible to type-cast long polar bears to magic bears

-kertropp

C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad idea
C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
-kertropp C:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad ideaC:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement