🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Trusting the Group?

Started by
26 comments, last by Jewelaye 24 years, 2 months ago
[seriously] Hi everybody im woundering if its usually happends that the Leader of the group starts some projects with using - all kinds of persons that makes the things that needs in a game and when the game is almost finished he blows the project off and finishing the game by his own and takes all the honour...and money...? Heard of that it happened before with people from gamedev......So how to trust?...Do you know anyone that have done this before...someone other really shouldnt join? /jewelaye [ignore if you dont have anything to say] JEWELAYE
Jewelaye
Advertisement
You make sure you have a clear contract before you start to prevent things like that from happening.

I am involved in a (non-game) programming project with one other person. We have been working on this project for over a year and I think we both trust each other to do a 50/50 split of the profits when the project is over. Due to the fact that we have not signed a contract yet, we both still own the copyrights to our respective work making it impossible for either of us to steal ''the whole project'' from the other person.

The situation is different if you have set up the group as a company that all the members work for. Then a good contract is recommended or all the members'' work will be the property of the company (and whoever owns that).

Henry
Jenny are you talking about me? Well even though this project is quite small and I don't know how to get contracts and stuff especially seeing as we all live in different parts of the world. All I can say is I don't intend on stealing everyones work... Is that really how much you think of me?

Edited by - Chris F on 4/3/00 11:29:42 PM
"I have realised that maths can explain everything. How it can is unimportant, I want to know why." -Me

The fact is, you should have _no_ suspicions about the validation of your team leader. That''s why he''s a leader. If he can''t fill the position correctly, find another or leave the team.

(Chris F, not referring to you or anything, I''m not sure what''s going on with you and Jenny..just stating my opinion about team leaders.)

*Tony Chamblee*

Nucleus Software
*Tony Chamblee*
Liquid Flame Software
Tony: neither am I, I haven''t had any problems with any of the people working on the game (including Jenny) and I''m not even sure if Jenny was refering to me. I haven''t given out the impression I''m going to steal anyones work, I''m not like that
"I have realised that maths can explain everything. How it can is unimportant, I want to know why." -Me
HI Chris French......I didnt have you in my thoughts ...
Im trusting you...(Im into a another team to...and soo far i trust them to..)...But the problem is tha ...one close to me have some problems with not trusting the team(leader)...And they do have a perfect working group...(except from the teamleader...) But the teamleader seems to have done a good job ...soo far...but hes been into a sereval projects before...and didnt finished them... .......!......Im not that good- so i cant compalin if there would be any problems..(stealing my work).....cause who would like to steal them?....hahaha....

Nah...the problem is if joining people/groups in the future...when the project is finished...
Do it happend rarely or very usually...that the members of hte groups...takes the honour and bloing the project off....
( people known here from g-dev that done that before?...
Oh...gotta go now...=(...
Ill be right back....

JEWELAYE
Jewelaye
---Jewelaye---
Well, usually if you find a good group, you would want to
stick with them even when your current project is done and
start work on a new one =)

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
Hi sherman..(and rest of you! .=)...I have no problems..! But thanx in anyway...startin gthis post was by clean curiosity about letting the team down...Just woundering...im always woundering about different kinds of things...=)....thats me!...
Thoughting about leaving teams ...and such things...wouldnt every team write a contract about that?...
I mean....if people just runaway everytime they gotta better offer...the teams wouldnt work very well....How does the regular contract look like??

Hmpf...have to go...again! *sigh* ....
"Ill be back" /

quote: Original post by sherman

---Jewelaye---
Well, usually if you find a good group, you would want to
stick with them even when your current project is done and
start work on a new one =)

Best regards,
Sherman

JEWELAYE
Jewelaye
---Jewelaye---
I guess there will always be a team member leaving and
someone new coming in =( However,my advice is to stick with
a team you can trust not just as colleagues but as friends -
Epix is my family now =)

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement