Advertisement

Total absolu newbie on game programming ;)

Started by March 28, 2000 06:57 AM
9 comments, last by CrazyIvan 24 years, 5 months ago
hello! i was just wondering... anyone ever played quake3? (I bet you did :D) what i dont understand is, whats the ''engine'' part in that game.. i mean, when you install the game it also installs directx, but it runs on opengl..? does the quake3 engine use opengl/directx (?) only to draw to screen or does it also use them to draw and calculate the actual triangles that appear on screen? Bye
The engine is pretty much what runs the game. It allows things like mods to be created for it. Basically it is a program that takes resources files and usees those files to create the game.
Also, just because a game uses opengl, doesn''t mean that the game does not use directx. While opengl is for graphics, directx includes much more, such as input capabilities, sound, music, and network.
Advertisement
I''ve just started learning DirectX, and I was wondering which is better D3d or OpenGL (or is it just a matter of opinion). Can you map a DirectDraw surface onto an OpenGL object? etc

I don''t really intend to learn either yet, I was just wondering.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
yeah.. i was kinda wondering this myself to, witch is better D3D or opengl... i started programming opengl recently (today to be precise :D) and as far as my one day experience goes i''ve seen that opengl can also be used on other operating systems, while directx cant.
Would i want to be using OpenGL on its own, or with DirectDraw as well (I which case it wouldn''t matter if OpenGL worked on other OS''s)

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
The only non biased answere to the age old question of which is better OpenGL or D3D is..... *Fanfair plays*

Try them both, experiment with both of them, both have there exentricites. Which ever one YOU feal more comfortable using is the best one to use.
Advertisement
OpenGL vs d3d. well I''ve had alot of problems tring to get games that use opengl it work(finding libraries for the card). where with directx 99.9% directx with a compilent version is already installed. so thats a plus. I''ve never realy looked in to gl for programming, but I''m planning on doing so sometime soon.

Great Milenko

Words Of Wisdom:
"Never Stick A Pretzel In Your Butt It Might Break Off In There."

http://www.crosswinds.net/~milenko
http://www.crosswinds.net/~pirotech

The Great Milenko"Don't stick a pretzel up your ass, it might get stuck in there.""Computer Programming is findding the right wrench to hammer in the correct screw."
GEo, although I have only started opengl and direct3D a little while ago, I can say the following about converting surfaces.

Sooner or later, you are going to not want to use the LoadImage function. Drop HBitmap and write your own bit transfer function. Bitmaps are easy enough to decode and the code is minimal from tranfering from a D3D texture to an OpenGL texture.
Quake 3 uses opengl for the graphics. The reason it installs directX is for the use of Direct Input.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
DirectX exists ONLY on Windows, so engines who use OpenGL will be easier to port. On the other hand, OpenGL doesn''t work especially good for my 3D card

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement