🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Web Browser?

Started by
4 comments, last by chippydip 24 years, 3 months ago
I''m in the process of setting up a website for my game development project (I will be posting the details soon when the site is up and running.) I decided to learn and use style sheets for this project and the site looks great under Internet Explorer. I had a friend check it out (he used Communicator) and he said the site made his browser crash I tried both Communicator 4.06 and the latest 4.7? versions and, sure enough, they cause it to crash! I''ve figured out which tag the browser doesn''t like, but I''ve also noticed that Netscpape seems to ignore a lot of the CSS tags so the site doesn''t look nearly as good as it does with IE I wanted to try and get a gereral idea about who uses what browser so I can decided how much effort I should put into making it compatible with Netscape browsers (obvously crashing is not compatible enough, but I would prefer not to have to mess around with the code to make it look pretty under Netscape if I don''t have to...) Thanks in andvance for your help, and if you are interested, you can check out the site at http://gpidev.freeservers.com
Advertisement
Well, I use Netscape 4.5 and it crashed on the page.
You can just get rid of the style sheet properties that make netscape crash (Netscape doesn''t support a lot of that stuff, such as dynamics, meaning changing color of links when hovering, etc..) It looks like it is the table properties that are causing the problems. Just hard code the look and feel and you can get the same result on Netscape and IE. Little more work, but it isn''t a huge site, so the stylesheet won''t save too much time.. Hopefully Netscape 6.0, which is suppose to come out in 20-some days will fix this..

PS.. I do like the look of the site under IE. Very clean and pretty crisp, keep going in that direction.

Ok, now I''m really confused! I''m trying to figure out exactly what was causing Netscape to crash but it seems that even putting a black page up there causes a crash

Any help would be appreciated... maybe its something with the server, though? I''ll try putting it somewhere else... until then I''ll just put the version back up that works for IE and works for Netscpape off my HD... tell me in any Netscpape people are able to see the site (and thank you for trying... esp. since it may make Netscape crash )
Well, it just crashed Netscape 4.7 in Linux (my previous post was for Win98). Works fine in lynx though.

What kind of server are you running on? It doesn''t seem to like the manual GET requests I give it in telnet.
Ok, I just spent the past several hours reworking the site... It should be working now! I think what was basically happening was 2 things:

1) I had defined a style class called "td.body" and I don''t think that Netscape liked that very much (the body part)

2) Netscape ignored a lot of CSS properties and doesn''t seem to "cascade" correctly anyway

Oh, well... its working now. All I have to do is go back and reformat the rest of the pages so they are pretty again

Thanks to everyone who tried to help... I''ll post again when its fully functional (you can see what its gonna look like if you go to the Introduction page in the main menu )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement