🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is the best shooter for the PC this year?????

Started by
20 comments, last by MuffinKnight 24 years, 3 months ago
I like Quake three AvP and other games like that whats your Veiw????? "Don't Blame us, blame yourself or God" FFT
"Don't Blame us, blame yourself or God" FFT
Advertisement
A really cool FPS that came out fairly recently is Unreal Tournment. It''s getting better reviews than Quake 3, and it has won a whole lot more awards that the Quake trio- so I suggest getting Unreal Tournament! (I haven''t played the game myself, but I have friends that have- and still do 24/7)

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
imo, Quake III Arena is the best game ever.
I''ve already played Q3A and I''ve already played UT. I think Quake 3 is much better.

Quake was also the reason why we started our own project:
A 3d shooter called Paradigm.

If you want to know more, visit:
www.rarebyte.de.st

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design

CharlieGame DesignerRarebytehttp://www.rarebyte.com
I''ve played both UT and Q3 and I have to say I like UT the best. The pace seems to be so much quicker in UT which keeps the fraggin high.

I also thought that the graphics on Q3 are a little too cartoonish.
This is dissolving into a UT vs Q3 discussion, but WTH here''s my 2 cents.

UT is better thanks to it''s more flexible server browser and different game types.... but... the bots are dumb (in a sense) and they CHEAT!!!! I was hiding on this dark DARK ledge high above on the map, totally covered by shadows and to my horror when I saw on my sniper scope.... a bot walking on the path... stops.... looks up... ''Head Shot!''

Q3 is better because of more personality in the bots, they act like real people, jumping around a lot, and depending on their skill level will choose to waste time typing in taunts like a newbie! And they don''t cheat... hide in a good high shadow and they''d never see you....

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
I just have to voice my opinion on this one

I feel that Unreal Tournament is the best fps *TO DATE*. It took a tired genre and spiced it up with new, original game play... something that Q3A unfortunately doesn''t.

As for cheating bots... well, while the UT bots are hard to hide from, they are not nearly as bad as the Q3A bots. The Q3A bots know where you are when you aren''t in the room! UT bots don''t fire rockets at the entrance of a hall that you''re running down when there''s no way a human could know you were there... at least the UT bots shoot when there''s a possibility of seeing you.

If you''re having problems Marauderz, perhaps you should stop camping

Oh, one more thing... The fine people at PC Gamer did a mighty brave thing. They gave UT a much higher percentage than Q3A. I couldn''t believe they would do that against the FPS king, iD software. I''m glad they gave the games their due rating though!

Just my opinion...

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
In my oppinion, Quake II is the best looking game so far this year, but UT has much more substance. But of course, this all depends on what kind of PC you have. Q3 with Geforce DDR is soo sweet, while I can imagine playing it on a system that gets like 20fps in 640x480 isn''t too nice.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
well let me open up my book of wonders(pc powerplay) and see what people voted as the best game of 99. now this game is winner of best intro, best storyline, best music,best sound fx, most impressive ai, best enemy and best firstperson shooter.what is it? half-life. yes the game that rocked the world has won best game of the year in pcpowerplay.

failuer to plan is like planning to fail
failuer to plan is like planning to fail
UT and HL are in the same boat. They are great single player and cool if you want to play a scenario or something.

If you want a hardcore deathmatch however, quake just blows them out of the water.
UT and Halflife are the best fps!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement