🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

contest weenies

Started by
8 comments, last by mordell 24 years, 3 months ago
Just a little rant: Ok...I think the contest is a great idea. I have been waiting for it to come online for sometime. Granted, I probably won''t enter it, but I really enjoy seeing everyones entries. Something is really irritating me and I just have to air it: I am getting sick and tired of seeing posts that say "I could make a cool game if you would only let me do ....". Thats totally BS. While I don''t doubt that many of the posters have the ability to make a decent game, I doubt that any majority of those posters will even get around to finishing enough of the game to enter the contest (spending so much time modifiying the art as it were...hey, prove me wrong!). I mean, what are these people thinking??? You guys [GameDev] were nice enough to offer a contest with a nice price and all anyone has to do is follow a FEW simple directions. Its a sad state when they can''t even do that. Personally, I would disqualify anyone who didn''t meet the original specifications of the contest. If no one entered the contest, no biggie, come up with a new contest. It would amuse me to no end to see someone post a game that met the original specs and be the only one to enter... I guess I am a little hardnosed about meeting requirements...but that is the way it is in ANY development environment. Thanks for listening. -mordell

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
Advertisement
Couldn''t agree more. If you''ve got no facts you''ve got nada. What would be cool is to ask those people to do a demo, not a game demo but a graphics demo, showing any technique at all. Game demos take a long time to do, but graphics demos shouldn''t take more than a few days, tops.

I also think the "Help wanted" forum is too flooded with msgs like "Help create the best game ever" and when you read it, it says nothing but some vague ideas, no facts and just thoughts.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
I agree completely!

I am currently working on an entry for the contest - WITHOUT any modified artwork.

Come on people, the spritelib isn't that bad. There are a wide variety of sprites available. If you can't think of a way to use them, then don't enter the contest. That way I'll have a better chance of winning!

Seriously though, take a little time and peruse the images and just brainstorm. Soon enough, a cool idea will come to you on how you can use UNMODIFIED artwork.

I personally believe that allowing people to use their own artwork for the background is unfair. The original specifications for the contest were perfect. A level playing field for all programmers. Now you've given the advantage to people who can create awesome background art.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to rely on my superior programming and game design skills

Edited by - Josh on 3/16/00 7:27:09 AM
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
I agree, it would be difficult to judge the entries fairly if the developers are allowed to create their own art.

I was going to develop an entry (unfortunately I don''t have time what with college and other unfinished projects), if I had I would definitely use the original sprite library.

I look forward to seeing the entries.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
I agree with you. That''s why we made the contest the way we did...so people wouldn''t have to bother with art and they would actually finish the game. If people want to take the time to modify some art, I have no problem with that. It doesn''t earn any brownie points to modify art, but depending on what''s modified and how it''s used in your game''s design could affect how we judge it. Basically, if you modify something, it better have a GOOD purpose for modification. We want to see who can be innovative with what they''re given. I think that about says it.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

I''d have to agree.

Uhhhhh... that''s all.

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
The contest is a superb idea , my game is now playable , just need to tweak out the graphics a little bit , add sound , Hhhhm maybe a cool video clip or two wont hurtHhhhmm Cybugs is gonna be a hit .

By show off hands , how many people are entering the contest?

I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
I''ve already entered.

OK, I cheated a bit. One of my games used Spritelib artwork exclusively, so I just packaged it up and entered it.

Some good competition would be nice. I''m not expecting mine to win. I was just trying to prime the pump a bit.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

I''m entering... tremble in fear as Bunnies At War stomps all!
I have to admit that I''m not the biggest gamer out there (the last game I paid for was Diablo), but I would pay big bucks to play a game called "Bunnies At War". That name just oozes pure stupidity...and nothing is funnier than that!
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement