🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OT - Menu that displays a dialog

Started by
3 comments, last by mbarela 24 years, 3 months ago
Lately i''ve been trying to learn MFC with marginal success. Today I hit a wall with a program I was writting and was hoping someone could help me. The Problem is this. I have a menu bar and one of the selections is called Add/Modify. When you click on it my Add/Modify dialog box is supposed to pop up. I created a class for the add dialog box, but I can''t pass the dialog''s resource id when I instantiate it. Normally to bring up a dialog all you would have to do is something like this: CDialog dlg(ID_ADD); int ret = dlg.DoModal(); But I need to instantiate my dialog class, and it will not take the control id of my dialog resource as a construction parameter. It is expecting a CWnd*. Fair Enough. I tried to cast it to a CWnd, like this: CDialog* pDB = (CDialog*)GetDlgItem(ID_ADD); CAdd dlg(pDB); int ret = dlg.DoModal(); The program just crashes when I click on add/modify on the menu. I have even played around with what im casting the pointer as (CWnd explicitly, and a few others). If any one has had this problem before and can help I would appreciate it. =) Mike Barela mbarela@earthlink.net
Mike BarelaMikeB@yaya.com
Advertisement

I am no MFC guru, but when you created a class that handles the Add/Modify dialog THAT class is what you want to instantiate to get your dialog.

Lets call that class CAddModifyDlg. Then, all you should have to do is:

CAddModifyDlg dlg;

dlg.DoModal();

and be done with it.

HTH,

-mordell

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
CAdd is the class for the dialog, but it doesn''t know what resource id to use.

Mike Barela
mbarela@earthlink.net
The resource id should already be in CAdd header file..probably something like this:

//{{AFX_DATA(CAdd)
enum { IDD = IDD_ADD };
//}}AFX_DATA

or whatever you named it. By default its IDD_DIALOG1 or something.

You don't necessarily need the resource id...thats what the class wrapper is for. it handles all the instantiation, etc..

Edited by - mordell on 3/16/00 12:27:35 PM

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
You were right in your first post, and thats how I thought it originally worked but everytime my menu item called the dialog, it would crash. I assumed it was because it didn''t know which resource to load. I was wrong. It turns out I was doing something wacky in the OnInitDialog that was overflowing the stack. As soon as I stepped through the program step by step I saw it. Ouch, it hurts when you still get caught on newbie mistakes! Thanks for the help mordell.

Mike Barela
mbarela@earthlink.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement