🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

STL?

Started by
3 comments, last by Muzzafarath 24 years, 3 months ago
I was just wondering, what is STL? I think it stands for Standard Template Library, but what are templates used for? Can it be used to make game programming easier? /. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Advertisement
Generally templates r used to make generic classes and functions. STL is a collection of generic classes, mainly different datastructures like linked-lists, red-black trees and other usefull stuff.

Havent got much time right now, but thats basicly what it is.
I know than STL mean: Société de Transport de Laval (Laval bus network)

But im not sure this is the same STL who talk about!
Delisk: We''re not talking about the same STL

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
STL also includes template functions, such as searches for arrays of arbitrary type. It''s missing a couple of standard data structures (hashtables, sparse arrays, etc.). It can be used to make game programming easier, if it''s your kind of thing. Personally, I don''t like it at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement