🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How much time do you spend programming and studying?

Started by
17 comments, last by Densun 24 years, 3 months ago
It comes and goes, as does the subject matter. A bit ADD, actually. Last week, I was programming Unreal Script, making cool mods and stuff. This week, I started learning OpenGL and pumped out a crappy little Wolfenstein game. A month ago, I was programming Java games. Two months ago, I made a breakout game on my Yaroze (programmable playstation). My interests sway completely, and the time I spend on them sways with it.

It took me 3 days to learn enough of OpenGL to do something fairly impressive with it, but it was pretty much 3 days straight with just a bit of time for sleep - it was over spring break. Actually, 3 days is the magic number. If it takes more than 3 days, then I lose interest. I''ve learned a lot in subjects by adding up all those "3 day" marathons that happen over a long period of time.

So to answer the question. Between 0 and 16 hours a day depending on my current interest.
Advertisement
Wow, I''m impressed. Most of you guys spend lots of time programming. In my case, I normally don''t get home from school until 3:05 or later (I get out at 2:45) and I can''t do too much (besides checking mail) until almost 4:00, in which case I normally use the internet, often to find information pertaining to game programming. Then, I might go play basketball or something after an hour, come inside, do stuff, eat, do homework, and if there''s nothing good on TV (like the Simpsons on Sundays -- I love that show ), I might do a little programming here and there. On weekends (and vacations ) I spend a lot more time programming, and that''s when I end up getting most of my coding done.

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
I usually spend between 8 and 10 hours a day programming. Ugh, Im a nerd!! =P

Mike Barela
mbarela@earthlink.net
Mike BarelaMikeB@yaya.com
As long as I''m not in class in school, at work, eating sloppy things or sleeping, I''m programming.

I do my homeworks on the 15 min busride to school if I have to, or the minutes before class.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
I spend my days coding OpenGL in work so thats about 8 hours, minus about 20 minutes per line of code due to software change notifications GRRRRR. Also remove an hour per day talking to my boss about what I''m doing, veryvery agravating, but mildly ammusing, his current mistake is to call OpenGL 4GL. I dont have the heart to tell him.

I get in from work at about 4:30 GMT, and start programming at about 5:30-6:30 until 10:30-11:30. So thats between 5-6 hours a night of pure game code.
Well, i normaly get up at about 6.30 each morning.
After about a million cups of coffee i do game
programming pretty much every free minute of the day.
I do however take some time of when i can to play
games and just take it easy.
I''ll generally wake up 7:30, then I get ready to go to school... at 8:45 school starts(we need to take the bus at 8:00) and lasts till 4:25, I only get home about 6 and do homework/eat till about 19:00 with that done I start programming until about 20:15 watch telly till 9:05 and then program again till 10-11, then I hit the net (here and the IRC channel) till about 12-1 often programming at the same time.
During the weekends I might hit as many as 8 hours programming per day but generally get about 4 hours in.
Given the time, I''d probably spend 8+ hours a day programming...
Cheers...
J2xC

------------------------------
About time I put something funny here? I think so too...
J2xC (J. Connolly) Ah! By popular demand, I shall no longer resist...
I usually spend about 2 months planning something and end up not doing it at all ''cause I figure out it wouldn''t work anyway *grins*

and programming 8 hours a day at work is usually enough for me, I need my social life a lot.

~ Mad Keith ~
**SoftwareMode**
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
I usually sit 8 hours a day in front of my computer.
I always try out what i''ve read in my computer books, so I read ''em there, too.

_Andreas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement