🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How much time do you spend programming and studying?

Started by
17 comments, last by Densun 24 years, 3 months ago
I''m wondering how much time everyone spends per day on programming, studying new programming things, reading up on new technologies, et cetera. School takes up most of the day. I get home at 2:30 PM PST. I use the computer for an hour, then my brother does, and this continues for the rest of the day. This actually allows me to do homework and other stuff, like reading programming books. I also try to read all the new game news (bluesnews) and I''m starting to read hardware news (voodooextreme). This starts to eat at my computer time, as does eating, sleeping, and playing games. I guess I should drop school and get a computer all for myself
Advertisement
About 12 hours a day programming, keeping up on news, or just reading up related magazines and books.
About 14 hours programming, designing, and testing (ie debugging). Unfortunately, most of that is not spent on any kind of game development. I am usually too burnt out to do much when I get home at night.

Well lets see... I spend the whole day programming at work.
Then when I get gome I program for about 2 hours ( game programming )
Because the school takes 7 hours a day from my life (do I have one?!), there''s 5 hours left to do programming (some time is spent in walking the dog, eating, watching VERY few tv programs). If I don''t have any exam coming up, I''ll read programming book(s). In the opposite case, I''ll read for my exam or do some programming.
On a normal weekday, I spend 8:30am - 5:00pm programming database crap at work, then 7:30pm - 1:30am programming my game (or playing TFC). Fortunately I don''t need much of a social life because I already have a hot wife who doesn''t mind this terrible addiction. ;-)

I spend from 9a to 5p doing systems programming at work. I then spend about 4 to 5 hrs with my wife and kids until the kids go to bed. Then I begin game programming, reading, etc. until about 1 or 2 in the morning and start it all over the next day.
1. Handling email/payments: 2-3 hours
2. Checking out the "news" and forums on several game development sites: 1-2 hours
3. Administrative tasks (reporting, checking up on team members, accounting, et al): 2-3 hours
4. Development/Design/Research: 6-8 hours

Somedays 4 doesn''t even exist, having been wiped out by 3, but that''s one of the joys of running your own business, however small it may be.

DavidRM
Samu Games
the amount of time i spend on programming and learning about it fluctuates greatly. i probably average around 5-6 hours a day, more if you count my CS classes..

sometimes i''ll spend most of my time programming, and fall behind in course work, and then spend a week catching back up, which leaves little time for anything else

i''ve also got a job at a liquor store (hehe..), which takes away from my time.. but one of the owners of the store works for lucent, and has said he''d hook me up with a job when i graduate..
6:30am - Wake up, and program.
8:30am - Stop programming, and go to school
4:15pm - Begin to program again!
5:30pm - Stop programming to attend to that annoyance- dinner
6:00pm - Program until I go to sleep
11:00pm - Go to sleep, then start the day alllll over again!

When I say program/programming, I''m either actually typing in code, answering/asking questions here, or reading up on C++ and that sort of thing.
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement