🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

ddraw.dll error message?

Started by
3 comments, last by lpsoftware 24 years, 3 months ago
Hey everyone, I''m getting a really weird error message. "Error Starting Program: The blah.exe file is linked to missing export DDRAW.DLL:DirectDrawCreateEx." This has never happened to me before. I''m guessing that ddraw.dll is missing from some directory where it''s supposed to be, but where? I''ll try putting it into the windows directory but I seriously doubt that that will fix it. BTW, this error message does not occur when running my own directdraw programs. Weird, huh? Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
Advertisement
Is it at compile time?

Try adding ddraw.lib to your project.

Every time I get export errors, this resolves it.
TV: Nope, this error doesn''t occur during compile time. It occurs whenever I just try to run certain applications from windows explorer, for example.

I found out that ddraw is located in windows/system, and I thought that the file might be corrupt, so I tried to re-copy ddraw.dll into the directory, but windows won''t let you.

I''m going to figure this out, if it''s the last thing I do!

Martin
Um, is it possible that this error message might be occuring because my DirectX is not up to date? I''m using 5.0 and the programs that I tried to run might use 6 or 7. This might be the problem, because all my programs with DirectX 5.0 work fine.

Martin
If thats the case, try reinstalling DirectX 7. DirectDrawCreateEx() is new to 7, and if it can''t find it in the dll, it might be an earlier version (the dll). Although it is tempting, don''t move around the DirectX dll''s from their original location. It is like picking a scab when you want it to heal.

Good luck! Hope it works.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement