🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What do you think about X-Box ?

Started by
15 comments, last by Paladin 24 years, 3 months ago
riz,

it''s true that the textures are very small, but i''m not sure if that''s *the* reason that the games are so well-done. it''s certainly something that i hadn''t considered before; thanks. (btw: in tekken 3, the smoke that rises is a particle effect, not a texture skin on a polygon model)

the textures themselves aren''t what i was marvelling at; i was refering to the engine design...there are games like MGS (Metal Gear Solid) and the Resident Evil series that use sophisticated graphics techniques (not just textures) and combine them with great playability. (well...MGS anyway )

think about your computer when it had a 2x CD-ROM and 2MB of RAM...those old DOS games were still using sprites! i guess the moral of the story is that the specs of a console don''t hold the same weight that they do on a desktop computer.

but you''re absolutely right...if developers can keep the same level of engine design quality on the X-Box that we already see on the PlayStation...we will be seeing *very* good things in the future.

(i hope HD-TV is cheaper then...that''s what PlayStation 2 is aimed at, i think)

----------------------------------------
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!
----------------------------------------Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!
Advertisement
OK... lessee:

MICROSOFT IS EVIL...

just something to catch your attention there... I used to think that, but then I discovered visual studio. And from what I hear DX is a blessing too and win2k might finally be a good OS =)

The thing is, in fall 2001 we''re going to be getting close to the 1.3 or so ghz mark(is that correct? just a guess) and then the high and mighty 600 mhz won''t be so big anymore, and the gfx card will be a bit dated... and even so with specs like those I doubt it''ll come out at $200... it''ll be interesting to see what the final product looks like, and how much it costs... how about a better name? =)
Sony already broke into the console market big time, and that shows that microsoft has a good chance of doing so too... only time will tell

J2xC

------------------------------
About time I put something funny here? I think so too...
J2xC (J. Connolly) Ah! By popular demand, I shall no longer resist...
Personally I am going to get a PS2 because I will still be able to play my PS games on it. With 1Ghz chips coming out 600 mhz is already a bit dated. M$ is counting on Nvidia to make a graphics card powerful enough to compensate for the lack of processor speed. The NV25 may not put out 300m Polygons per second. Also it will not be out until 2001.

My 2 cents.
InFerN0Not all who wander are lost...
As far as stability goes, im going to bet that the x-box will be really stable, much like the PSor N64. Computer games have conflicts because everyone''s system is different. All x-box''s will be the same, so developers only really have to worry about developing for one group of hardware. Less bugs, more stability.

Mike Barela
mbarela@earthlink.net
Mike BarelaMikeB@yaya.com
two things:
1)how much is it going to cost?(a lot)
2)Geforce is great now but the end of 2001(2002), geforce will be a pile of dung
I think that the fact that it will use direct-x and therefore make it easy to port PC games make the Xbox sound very nice... however its microsoft so who knows what else could happen to it. I like the fact that it has a hard drive too, something that annoyed me about playstations was constantly having to fiddle around with memory cards.

- Daniel
http://sw.mtx.net/daniel/
- DanielMy homepage
It doesnt use geforce. the chip hasnt been developed yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement