🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

French people uses computer for nuke sims

Started by
53 comments, last by Spiff 24 years, 3 months ago
This is pretty funny, the french nuclear commision have decided to buy a Compaq Alpha (super computer) to simulate nuclear bombs instead of actually testing them *IRL* It must have taken them weeks to decide that sims is better than blowing up a-bombs in nature. (I.e. I think the french nuclear commision was beyond stupid to even start with nuclear test and I was hoping they would die of it themselves) Oh, and the computer may be the fastest in Europe with 2000 64-bit Alpha processors which handles 5 000 billion calculations/second...woohoo! ============================ Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design "I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Advertisement
HI ....had a feeling that i really should reply to your topic =)........cool to make simulated "BOOMS"
where did you find that article?
(mmmm...inga fler tips till min topic? ).....
Gotta go now
CYA! =)

(SPIFF; Tack så hemst mycket ändå!!!!!!
Ska kolla upp adressen...lite läsning =)
Ha det så bra! )

Edited by - Jewelaye on 3/16/00 5:59:27 AM
Jewelaye
hmmmm.... TO Bad its going to take them months to get that damn Compaq working!!!! hehe They suck and the expirments they run are all going to be currupted with the compaq. They should use reliable computers like Gateway!!! hehe.

node_5r

p.s my cat uses a compaq computer to shit on when it has the runs!!!
Well, considering computers are so kick ass these days, and this thing called the nuclear test ban treaty, it seems only right that they''d use simulations

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
Jenny: I found it on http://nyheter.idg.se.
"(mmmm...inga fler tips till min topic? )....." - no, sorry

I would say SGI''s supercomputers are more fun, if not better, they''re really spiffy designed

http://www.sgi.com/t90/

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Did you hear about that french spy who sunk a Greenpeace boat a while back?

If I make a few millions programming (unlikely) I''m going to buy Greenpeace a fleet of battleships, that''ll teach ''em!!!! Ya HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA Ha ha ha

BTW: How do the French manage to be sooo unpopular. Hmmmmm.

Eat British Beef - It''s the only meat in Europe that''s not infected with disease just now.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
There''s nothing wrong with Compaq super computers.
If I remember right, the last test series on Mururoa (did I spell that correctly?) had the general aim to get information to simulate the Nuke-booms in the future.

This Greenpeace boat was the "Rainbow warrior #1" and it was sunk in New Zealand.

That''s all I can remember.

P.s: Why the hell do we need these nuklear tests/weapons???
Melo its quite simple really. We have nuclear weapons to stop wars. Since the Japs were nuked there hasen''t been any "real" big wars since then between any of the super nations. The wold is a "safer" place and more "stable" because of the nuclear stock piles.
------------------------------"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
Sorry to butt in
But UrRod.. do you really fill secure with the possbilites that any moment the world would evoprate in a thick shroom cloud (Highly unlikey tho, since those damn stocks are going so damn high ). Still I''d have to agree with you, NUKEs do prevent all-out world wars, sort of. But what if a desperate country or madman decide to play god? Is it in our nature to destroy ourselves? What if Nuclear bombs were all destroyed would we invent a more destructive weapon (probably not since now days smart weapons is the way to go).
Anway at least French is doing them tests in computers now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement