🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2 things

Started by
19 comments, last by Deluxe 24 years, 3 months ago
At risk of sounding like an idiot: What''s "Anime" mean?

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Advertisement
I stand to be corrected but I think that it is Japanese or Chinese Art ( cartoons )
No offense but LOL. Anime is a Japanese cartoon. If you get cable turn on Cartoon Network from 3:00 - 5:00 CST. Some dubbed animes are Gundam Wing, DragonBall/Z, Sailor Moon, and Ronin Warriors. I say dubbed because Japanese cartoons have cursing and sexual things.
Does anyone listen to Destiny''s Child, TLC, or Sammie?
if you want to REALLY know what anime is, go rent the subtitled version of Akira, or (when they finally finish it), the subtitled version of Princess Mononoke. anime rules!

_________________Gecko___
Gecko Design

_________________Gecko___Gecko Design
And if your not into sex don't get Ninja, there's a rape in that one. Stay with the subject ;p

Edited by - Deluxe on 3/9/00 12:08:50 PM
Does anyone listen to Destiny''s Child, TLC, or Sammie?
I''ve seen Akira (that kicked ass, to coin an American phrase)I just didn''t realise that''s what Anime is. (It''s the name of the company that does stuff like that isn''t it? I say that ''cause now we''re talking about it, I seem to remember the little logo on the box)

Thank you.

BTW: I think an Anime style RPG game would probably kick ass, the art would be hard though.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Anime isn''t a company (or is it?). I believe anime is the name of the drawing style that most japanese cartoonists use.

Making an anime RPG/adventure game certainly isn''t original, just look at Final Fantasy. But I do believe there is room for more anime in the game industry, in fact I see a lot of upcoming games being very much influenced by anime. There are not that many true anime games on the PC market.
Like I say, I seem to remember seeing the text "Anime" on a logo (with a little red japanese symbol behind). You wouldn''t do this if it was just the style, would you?

Maybe I''m wrong, if someone can please put us out of our misery and answer this one, it sure would be appretiated (spelt wrong!)

George.

The little logo on thhe side of thhe Akira box is the logo for Manga. Its a distrobution house, which I believe distrobutes purely to the UK, but I may be wrong there. But that is what the funny little symbol is on the side of the box. Hope thhat sorts out the confusion.
Anime is japanese animation.
Manga is japanese "cartoonish" series (don''t know a better explanation of that, sorry)

It''s really big in Japan but also in Sweden and other countries too I guess. There''s also a few games that are manga/anime inspired, like Oni and...uhm, that''s about all I can think of right now. There are also alot freeware and shareware manga games, but they''re most often Hentai games.

Go to http://www.gamefan.com/animefan to check out some anime stuff.

Too bad no one asked me about my favourite anime series, I''ll tell you anyway. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Tenchi Muyo, Pretty Sammy and Ranma½.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement