🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

do you get discouraged?

Started by
7 comments, last by Moe 24 years, 3 months ago
When i look and see what there is for 3d games and effects, i find that i say to myself, that i can never make anything like that. I get discouraged when i see an awsome 3d engine or special effect. Am i the only one here that gets discouraged in this way? - Moe -
Advertisement
Certainly not. I think of it more as frustration than getting discouraged. It makes me want to try harder. Getting discouraged would mean you are thinking of quiting. Just remember that everyone at one time or another runs into problems no matter how advanced they may be. Its a constant learning process, so you''ll never know everything but you''ll never get bored either!

Still Learning...
Still Learning...
Its an odd subject. I tend to get discouraged since I have wanted to program a game for the past 10 or so years, and now that I am 23 and have a CS degree, I am almost done with my first real game, but it still isn''t exactly Quake III, or any other great game, but hopefully it will be fun. The funny thing is, on this latest project it hasn''t been... "Damn I''m never going to finish this" as much as, "Wow, I wrote a cool piece of code here or there". I found the more I enjoy the programming, the less discouraged I get. Well, there I go rambling again.
Lotan
Well some times i feel like this too, but i just tell myself
to hang in there and work hard and one day i will get there.
You just need to have faith in yourself.
I get bored really easily.

I fix this by taking a few days off (not even thinking about programming) every month or so.

I also take many short breaks and always get some physical exercise each day rather than sitting around all day.

Consider:
Healthy body = healthy mind.
therefore,
Unhealthy body = unhealthy mind
Lasy body = lasy mind (I fit into this category!)
etc etc

Okay, Im going to stop boring you people and go home now, bye.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Maybe i was just in a bad mood yesterday?! I thank you for your support. got any storylines for games?

- Moe -
I dont'' get discouraged as much as experience a lot of "ooh shiny" distractions.

Unless i''m trying (Again) to figure out D3DX. I spend about two days on it, get throughly confused, and discouraged, and go back to OGL.

You''d think that one would help with the other. but no! I think DD''s are just too distracting...

=)

*oof*
*oof*

Don''t really have a story line for ya, but perhaps you could do what I am doing for my current game. Think of some of your favorite movies and then think of how the movie would of been better. Then see if making a game out of it would be feasible. You don''t have to replay the whole movie, but think of the premise of it and alter it a little to your liking. I''m still working on the design right now for mine, but I got the idea from "Escape From New York". I liked the idea of an Island full of lifetime prisoners. You could go in a million directions with this. Anyways, don''t get discouraged. Set small goals for yourself and you''ll notice the progress. Write out a list of ten things you want to learn how to do, and before you know it the list will be complete and you can start a new list! Good luck!

Still Learning...
Still Learning...
If you think that you need fancy 3D graphics to have a great game, then it''s time to change your way of thinking. Exile II and III have only Windows 3.1 graphics, yet next to Final Fantasy, they are one of the best RPGs ever.

- DarkMage139
- DarkMage139

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement