🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GDN game contest

Started by
25 comments, last by Dragun 24 years, 4 months ago
Hey firahs, was your name mentioned in the paragraph?? Uhh...didn''t think so.
Advertisement
HoodRat: It is true that there are some programmers that are multi talented, but many are not. Besides that, having a programmer doing art is also a big waste of time, since only one task can be done at a time.

Dragun: I think your comment about graphics is a bit off: imagery is much more important in movies than it is in games. There have been many games that didn't have great art, but still sold well. You think anyone cares that tetris looks awful? My point is that art is important, but not ahead of the game.

Anyway, on to what I wanted to say . I like the idea of restricting the art to keep eye candy from becoming a factor, but I have one complaint: spritelib doesn't have enough tiles. Sure, they have plenty of sprites, but there are only 2 pages of tiles, and most of them are pretty redundant. So my proposition is this: keep the spritelib restriction, but allow for around 20-40 extra tiles. I see that as a fair compromise.

--TheGoop

Edited by - TheGoop on 3/3/00 7:11:45 PM
I would have to agree with TheGoop. I thought of doing something 2D Rainbow six with those spy graphics but there is absolutely no background tiles to go with them, there all for that caveman set. And one last thing about the libary (which is good) is that the graphics are sized for old 320x200 mode. If you tried putting them in a 640x480 window they would be tiny. Maybe next contest would could have some other restriction, like having to run on a slow computer or using only the mouse as the input device.
I agree with the goop.
Michalson:

Use your skills as a programmer to bi- or tri-linear filter the tiles up to a higher res

heh.

===============================================
I saw a man pursuing the horizon;
Round and round they sped. I was disturbed at this; I accosted the man.
"It is futile," I said, You can never -- "

"You lie," he cried, And ran on.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
I don''t understand all the gripes. This is a game programming contest and every one I''ve ever seen has some sort of limitaion: file size, no music, genre... anything''s possible.

Restricting the graphics to Spritelib does something for this contest that I think is great. It forces people to be creative. Take a look at the bitmaps and see what ideas pop into your head. You can look at it like: "I can only make this kind of game or that kind!" or you can say "Hey, what if I do this kind of game with that kind of twist!"

I mean, really, if you have no imagination or just don''t like the restriction, then don''t enter. Just wait for the next contest. It took me about 10 minutes to get a rough idea for a game and about 30 to get a sketchy design on paper. I''m well into the code now. I''m not in it to make a Quake competitor. I''m in it for experience, competition, fun and a shot at a free copy of Fastgraph In my mind, that''s what a compo is all about.
Having a set group of graphics puts the emphisis on Game Play, and programming ability. "Eye Candy" is just coating on top of a quality product, it is not what makes the product professional.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement