🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GDN game contest

Started by
25 comments, last by Dragun 24 years, 3 months ago
The art requirement for the contest is to use the shitty art library for tiles, sprites, and whatnot. Dude, that's f***ing weak. It's like asking to create a game with the Borland Graphics Interface (BGI). They will all act\look\play the same. Edited by - Michael Tanczos on 3/5/00 7:44:27 PM
Advertisement
Please refrain from using vulgarity in your posts. It is immature and inappropriate for a public forum such as this.

The idea of a contest such as this is to be *creative* with some restrictions. In this case, the restriction is that you have to use the SpriteLib art library. This does not mean that all the games will act or play the same. They will share artwork, but that''s IT. Use your imagination and make something unique. Concentrate of the gameplay rather than fancy graphics.

Great games are not made of art alone. A great game does not even need good artwork to be fun. Take that idea and run with it. If I find the time, I know I will

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Ack! That last post was mine.

Hey GDNet staff, can we have a small java-script alert that lets us know if we leave the username/password fields blank?

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
Hiya,

I kinda agree with everyone here

I understand why its restricted to one art library, and games with crap art can still be good. This restriction allows games that are not done by amazing game development teams or super good artists to still have a fair chance, which is a really good idea in my humble opinion.

However, that sprite library is a tiny bit limited (no offense to whoever did it), maybe rather than restricting the art that can be used, you should judge the entries by creativity and ignore how good (or bad) the art is.

Prehaps you could have more than one winner, one for most original, one for best art/music or whatever, and so on.

<---------------------------Message Ends--->
George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
I was looking forward to submitting something for the contests until I read the graphics rule. Spritlib is too limited to make anything decent. You are basically limited to mario type games and really bad top down shooters. So I think your should remove the graphics limitation. It''s not like someone is gonna hire a professional art team just so they can win a copy of FastGraph.
This is to keep the focus of the game on programming. 1 person teams. Rarely can a programmer draw/create art well and program, so this isnt the expectation, and this removes the focus from having a team for once.

A single programmer can compete. You can create most of the games made in the 80s with the graphics from sprite lib, and there were a lot of classics there. If thats something you just cant handle cause its not cool enough for you, then dont enter and let other people show you what can be done with some simple graphics.

-Geoff
The idea is to create something with limited resources, which is in this case SpriteLib. If you ever go develop for a console, you will be working with limited resources. This makes it so that no single person can win because his/her art is better (which tends to happen in contests I have seen..eyecandy). The idea here is the actual game design and not the art. SpriteLib is a good art library that has been around for quite some time.

Also, to address the limitation concern...I never said it HAD to be 2D. You can actually create a 3D game if you wanted, just use the sprites as textures. Don''t complain about it, use what you have available to you and see what you can do. Of course, I guess you can''t please everyone...

And one last thing...there will be more than 1 winner...

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

Actually I think the restriction is great!
I''m right now thinking of some really sick procedural and 3D things I can do to manipulate, violate and desecrate that SpriteLib in the crudest fashion possible, all the while staying within the project boundaries.

( Some ideas to keep it interesting: Using those things as heightmaps for your terrain renderer, use those things as spotlight effects in your volumetric fog demo, etc etc )

and then there are the obvious 2D shooters you can make :-)
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
I apoligize for the vulgarity in my previous post.

Anyway, I have three questions...

1) Can the artwork be modified? (i.e. rotated, color change, etc.)

2) Can there be additional game specific artwork? (i.e. flags, icons, etc.)

3) Are the games going to be judge by genres? I don't think it would be fair if a puzzle\strategy went head to head with an action adventure.

Edited by - Ðragun on 3/2/00 2:30:07 PM
its for win32 and you dont hear me bitching and im going to have to learn a whole new os to make an entry, the artwork should be the least of your worries.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement