🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A good book on Visual C++ ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Sleepwalker 24 years, 4 months ago
Hello everyone! I wanted to do some Windows programming, more advanced than Klick&Play Professional (=read "Visual Basic" ;-)). Well, anyways, I bought this book called "Using Visual C++ 6". The title is deceivin. It should rather be called: "Using the Visual C++ 6 Application Wizard" because that''s really all it tells you about. It "teaches" you what buttons to click in what specific order to make a program. Hey - I want to do some programming and not button-clicking (I would''ve stayed with K&P P)... I found the windows programming tutorial in André LaMothe''s Tips & Tricks of the Windows game programming Guru''s more help- and useful than this entire book. My point is: I still need a book that teaches me how to use VC++ 6.0, and I do not want to pay another $50 just for chicken $hit... So, any recommendations ? - Sleepwalker
- Sleepwalker
Advertisement
beginning visual c++ 5.0 or 6.0 are good. wrox writes them (www.wrox.com) and you can find em most anywhere.
you can''t miss em.. all the wrox books are bright red.

that''s my personal recommendation. it teaches c++ and even goes into win32 API a little and MFC and all kinda of other stuff.
-werdup-
If you are a REAL BEGINNER then you should buy Visual c++
for dummies.And if you know c++ and don''t know dx then you should buy WGPFD or Tips & Tricks of the Windows game programming.

James Bond
James Bond
I also recommend begining visual c++. I used it for version 4.0 and it teaches you c++ basicsd amd then the visual aspect.
I have "Visual C++ 6 Bible", written by Leinecker and Archer. It''s pretty good, but I prefer using the online MSDN Library.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement