🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

help please: FVII...how was it made?

Started by
6 comments, last by Saint 24 years, 4 months ago
Anyone know how the latter final fantasies were made?...I know they have pre rendered backdrops and then transparancy effects to overlay images...but then I''m stuck...how do they do it? and most importantly how hard is it to do? (hmmm, hope you can make sense out of that....thanx) Over and out.... Saint
Over and out....Saint[http://www.evolution-v3.co.uk]
Advertisement
All I can say is what you said. If you want more specific, disasm it. 4+ mb! I cannot help you there. As for collisions/distance they must have used 2d/3d arrays. I would really like to know too. Also I can''t wait for this demo to finish downloading! Final fantasy 8 baby!
in-house tools, and lots and lots of talented programmers/artists, other than that im not really sure, there are many methods one can take to make a game like that
Thanx...I''ve found someone who knows someone who works for squaresoft, so I should hopefully be able to find something out.....

Over and out....
Saint
Over and out....Saint[http://www.evolution-v3.co.uk]
Man, that''s my ultimate dream...to work for Squaresoft (well...Square actually)... you think they pay a lot...?
For me, just seeing my name somewhere in the credits of Final Fantasy XVII would be just about all the pay I''d want. $100,000 would be pretty cool too i suppose. =)

Download Complete. "YESSSSSS! The DirectX 7 SDK is finally MINE!! After 3 days of waiting, I have finally successfully downloaded this huge file. Now, I'll just fire up Winzip and... Illegal Fault. CURSES, MICROSOFT, CURSES!"
C:DOSC:DOSRUNRUN DOSRUN
(hope i''m not stating the obvious) judging from playing the games a bit much, it seems that there is a polygonal surface on which the characters walk that isn''t textured. Then square just renders the bg first, character/3d items, then any forground pics. items are placed on the polygonal map based on 3d space.

I guess, then they could just test the center of the character''s body to see if it was within a certain collision cube (like for heading to the next scene or picking up an item).

This sounds relatively hard, because you must have a well working knowledge of 3d and a good modeling program for each of the scenes (not to mention beautiful 3d renders).

any more questions?
hey! i got the same result too when i unzipping that
dx7 SDK
DANM.....but luckily the lib and headers file r save and also
the docs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement