🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do i setup a LAN???

Started by
5 comments, last by Chris F 24 years, 4 months ago
I know this isnt about game programming but im lost, and it does say in the title forum IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ABOUT GAME PROGRAMMING, please can someone tell me the easiest method to setup a LAN, the equipment i need and any other relevent information. Thanks. Later. Edited by - Chris F on 2/20/00 8:26:12 AM Edited by - Chris F on 2/20/00 8:27:37 AM
"I have realised that maths can explain everything. How it can is unimportant, I want to know why." -Me
Advertisement
It depends how big of a LAN you want, I suppose. If you want to hook up two computers (or if you don''t have any network adapters installed), you could do it with a simple parallel (port) cable. Just install the desired network protocol (usually along with File and Printer sharing) and connect up with Direct Cable connection (in Win95/98). If you want a bigger LAN (or a better peer to peer LAN...) you might want to look into getting a hub, some cat5 cable with RJ-45 plugs (kinda like telephone cable, only bigger, plugs into an ethernet adapter).

I guess it also depends what you want to use it for. If your LAN is going to be used for business, you''ll have to consider some security measures as well. Hope this helps, bu if it doesn''t, try being a bit more specific about your needs...
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.
If you plan on buying the hardware you need, 100Mb ethernet cards and hubs are cheap right now. At Best Buy, friday, 10/100 Ethernet card from Linksys was $25. They also sell home networking kits that come with ethernet hub, two cards, and some cable for relatively cheap. Especially considering that''s in today''s dollars.
thanks for your help, just a couple more questions. I''ve got 3 computers, two have windows 95 and ones got 98 will there be a problem, do i need to change the other two? Whats the best way to conect them then? Should I buy the home networking kit, or should i get everything seperate?
Thanks again. Later.
"I have realised that maths can explain everything. How it can is unimportant, I want to know why." -Me
They should coexist fine. In general, get yourself a hub with at least 4 ports if you can - that way, friends can join you. Put a PCI 10/100 ethernet card in each computer. Do yourself a favour, and get decent molded cat 5 cable - it sucks when cable problems make networking feel hellish. You need 1 straight-through piece of cable for each computer - and they simply plug into the ports on the hub. Setup each computer to have TCP/IP bound to 192.168.1.x (x being the number of the computer, from 1 to 255) and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and everything should be fine. There are some good tutorials on this around the net in general, email me if you get stuck.
thanks for all the help. later.
You don''t need to change the OS''s on the computers. 95 and 98 will play happily on the same lan.

If you want to wire yourself on ethernet, you''ll need 3 Ethernet cards with 10BaseT plugs, 3 10BaseT cables (unshielded twisted pair with RJ-45 connectors, probably category 5) and one hub, for a 10BaseT network. Or you can get two 10Base2 cords, 3 Ethernet cards with BNC connectors, and 2 terminating resistors.

I would recommend using a 10BaseT network, it''s a lot easier to setup, though it costs a little more. In that case you''re best off (money wise) by buying a home networking starter kit that has two cards and a hub, as well as an additional card and cable. As I said, before, 100Mb network equipment is cheap right now, but this will still probably run $100 to $120. A full setup in 10Mb will probably be around $80 to $100.

And just remember, hardware, unlike software, can be returned to where you bought it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement