🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Isn't BeOS better for gamers than Linux?

Started by
7 comments, last by Kate 24 years, 4 months ago
It seems SGI plans to make Linux the main platform for OpenGL. But why Linux? I do not know much about Linux, but Linux is for business, I believe. If SGI''s target were only high-end workstations, then Linux would be good. But consumer market would dominate in $, and will give enough resources to win in high-end areas too. Winners for consumers will be likely to dominate in high-end areas too. So I wonder if SGI made a wrong decision. BeOS is user-friendly, and so isn''t BeOS better for both consumers (gamers) and high-end areas than Linux? Shouldn''t SGI change its target platform?
Advertisement
Just one comment on what you just said,

BeOS uses the LINUX kernel... Take a look at the directory architecture and the basic functions and the way it operates and you''ll see that it''s the same as linux. Also, the reason why SGI decided to target Linux is probably because there are more users of Linux than BeOS( and I''m not saying that BeOS isn''t good. On the contrary, I''ve had a chance to use it and play around with it and basicly it''s One of my 2 favorite OS''s ). Anyhow, all that to say that BeOS would''ve been a good choise but it needs more users. Also, just another parenthesis, Linux is GUI most distros now install KDE which is like windows but a million times better as it doens''t crash.

Anyhow, again, no hard feelings, these are just my two cents( and I''m NOT forcing anybody to think the way I do. It''s just an opinion and I like giving it out that''s all ).

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia
Two Guys Soft
[Cyberdrek | ]
That is complete and utter bullshit.

BeOS does NOT use the Linux kernel.
BeOS uses the BeOS kernel.
First of all, Linux is a macrokernel.
BeOS is a microkernel.
Two entirely different designs.

There are plenty of differences, you can find this out on any Be site, and not only that, where in hell do you get the idea that because it has a *nix (notice I didn''t say Linux!!! OOO) style directory structure, that it is based on Linux? Give me a fucking break.
Hahahaha
BeOS using the linux kernel? No. Just because it has a unix architecture doesn''t make it a linux clone . Is linux a SunOS clone? No. And to answer your question kate, BeOS is still kind of lacking in support. Linux is user-friendly, especially know with setup programs like LIZARD. You install linux, and play a game while it finishes. Much easier than windows . And, IMHO, SGI didn''t make a bad decision, they made a great decision. They''re supporting linux, and trying to help it expand. Also, one of the hardest part of technology today, is predicting what''ll happen tomorrow. If SGI is on the scene BEFORE linux rises to full steam, then they''ll be one of the company powers within linux. I hope this helped some, and who knows, maybe when BeOS gets some more support, SGI will give them more support.
I have to lean toward Kate''s side of the argument.
. BeOS was made from the ground up to be a multimedia platform, which logically should make it a better enviroment for developing games. However, I think SGI''s focus on Linux is more of an attempt to standardize the way OpenGL is implemented rather than make Linux the dominant OpenGL platform. [I''m not sure what you''ve read on the topic, Kate] This may also be further propogated by the fact that there are many flavors of Linux [Corel, Red Hat, SuSe, etc], which could easily result in many disparate solutions. [good grief, what''s with my vocabulary tonight?] Still, if they do want to make it the dominant platform, it makes more sense to make it the one that works on multiple types of processors.
. Another reason could be that Be knows what they''ve made [unlike another OS creating company we know] and would be better situated to make their own implementation of OpenGL.
. Back to which OS would be better situated for game development, I would still have to say BeOS for it''s multimedia capabilities. What Linux has got going for it is it''s integrated networking abilities [good for MMORPGs and FPSs] and it''s applications already developed for it. It may win out over Be if the situation plays out like it does for game consoles; the one with the best software selection at the beginning winning.
Probably one of the reasons for SGI''s choice is that Irix is closer to Linux than to BeOS. Combined with Linux''s larger installed user base over BeOS, as well as greater hardware support, it seems like a pretty easy choice.

Really BeOS is light years ahead of Linux when it comes to audio, but I haven''t noticed it''s graphics support to be that superior. And as GL is a graphics library I don''t think the BeOS audio advantage would factor in much at all.

Linux''s audio support is coming along nicely, however. In two years I don''t think there will be much difference between the two in terms of as a gaming platform.
Is BeOS open source?

Oh!
I''d heard that BeOS had a BSD-a-like kernel. It does have a microkernel, but that doesn''t mean that it''s not *nix. MacOS X has a BSD-a-like kernel too.

I think that XFree86 4.0 for Linux will make a huge difference on how people view Linux. It''ll be a direct rival to DirectX, and a lot easier to program.

I imagine that one of the main reasons for SGI going over to Linux is that the Unix system is very well established, and much used, easy to program and is on more people''s desktops that, say, BeOS. I''m not saying that BeOS is not up to it though (I think BeOS is very nice indeed).
=> Arfa <=
A: Because Linux is much more established than BeOS (right?)
B: There are alot of heavy graphics programs (Maya, Alias PowerAnimator among other) for Unix which (what I know of) almost exclusively uses OpenGL acceleration.
C: SGI's has an own Unix/Linux (whatever) clone called Irix for their graphics stations (OS/2 and Indy)
C: Microsoft has a big hold of the OpenGL support for the Windows platform and SGI don't.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design

"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

Edited by - Spiff on 3/8/00 4:36:56 AM
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement