🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPG Game Project

Started by
16 comments, last by Sleepwalker 24 years, 4 months ago
Hello everybody ! I just set up the site for a game project that is currently under development. Please take look at it and tell me what you think. C O R A X Thanks in advance - Sleepwalker "Excuse me sir, which way is reality ?" Edited by - Sleepwalker on 2/12/00 8:44:17 AM
- Sleepwalker
Advertisement
Just a quick note..your ''Map Prototype'' returns/whaever (not even a message box or a log! bwah) instantly when i execute it. The screen turns black and then back to normal, however It doesnt change the resolution before exiting.
Just a tip Sleepwallker, change it to Win32 Release. From the other persons post it sounds like you left the game in it''s "debug" form. Click on build->Active project settings->Win32 Release->OK and then reinclude the libraries. Also, it looks pretty good, but I reccomend you go with bitmaps. They''re easy to load, and look better than ascii.
Hope that helped - Cloxs

I can use my finger to point out the moon, but my finger is not the moon, and you don''t need my finger to see the moon, do you?
Thanks for giving me some feedback...

Staffan...I have a clue as to ehat might be wrong...The thing is in 24bit color mode...Your graphics card might not support it...I run it on a Voodoo 3 3000 and it works fine.

Cloxs...It actually is a release version - and it is an embedded bitmap (in the executable) with different tiles...but they just happen to be ASCII characters.
I thought it might be good to combine these two worlds: DirectX and ASCII...

So thanks again for you comments...
I''ll work more on the thing, so cheack back later...

- Sleepwalker
- Sleepwalker
Thats it. My card only supports 32-bit color, not 24.
Hummm...that might be a problem...I thought I''d make it 24bpp - one byte for each primary color...
In 16bpp you have the diffifculties with the different 555/565 color models...

But I could as well make it with 32bpp, but I don''t know if all cards support that, especially the older ones.

Oh, and I heard that Pentium II class processor can handle 32bit faster and easier than 24bpp. Is that true ?

- Sleepwalker
- Sleepwalker
You might want to place a screenshot on your web-site. For most it's too long to download and unzip and then play when it might also crash.

ZoomBoy

My web site with screenshots
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Atlantis/7739/

Edited by - ZoomBoy on 2/13/00 2:49:07 AM
One of the differences between 32 and 24 bit display is that the 32 bit takes more memory but is faster than the 24 bit.
I don''t think memory will be an issue...The game''s not gonna be very graphically intensiv, I''m afarid...So I could afford that...but still - what about older cards ?

Yep, ZoomBoy, I thought of that one too. Trouble is I do not know how to make a copy from ddsurface to a bitmap file without having to write up my own routine and messing with file headers and stuff like that #-) ...Any ideas ?

Anyhow, I made a weather cycling finite state machine engine type sort of thingy program (That parataxation of words is stylistically incorrect, I believe). Well, you can take a look at it at the download page...

- Sleepwalker
- Sleepwalker
sleepwalker - did you try the print screen key?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement