🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

small help here please

Started by
4 comments, last by TGrimace 24 years, 4 months ago
I''m attempting to build a simple launcher for various games such as Duke3d and so on. I figure it''s a good place to start. I haven''t really programmed since the 80s. Anyway, I''m having several problems and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of the source code of a launcher. I figure if I look at that, it''ll help enormously and I''ll learn better than if someone just tells me what I''m doing wrong.
Advertisement
The term ''Launcher'' is new to me. Explain Please.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

A ''launcher'' is a small program that launches other programs. Usually made to get nice user interface to all the commandline options.
if you have vc++, look up the creatprocess win32 api calls. i''ve never tried making a launcher myself, but they might be what you are looking for.

Carl "trixter"[email=carl@trixoft.com]carl@trixoft.com[/email]http://www.trixoft.com
I just bought Visual Studio6 and I''m not terribly familar with all it options and such. I''m really out of practice. I still force my way through the occasional Sam''s 21days books just to keep in practice, but those seem to be getting less and less detailed. Anyway I went into the creatprocess but I couldn''t find anything in the various help files and indexes. My main problem is how to send dos commands from within the program. I might be using the wrong commands, or I might not be including the right headers.
I don''t know what problems your having, so I can''t help you with anything specific, but it shouldn''t be too difficult to find out some basic ways of opening a window, adnd then executing game files from button clicks - you can find all this out from the VC++ 6 help, if you installed MSDN, you should go to the ''Index'' option under help and type in

Createprocess

that should give you some details on executing files from within windows - other than that there are some examples of win32 coding on this very site, under programming suprisingly enough....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement