🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

console to Win32

Started by
0 comments, last by Joker 24 years, 4 months ago
I only have a basic knowledge of creating C++ console applications but would like to move into Win32 programming and eventually Win32 game programming. Are there any good books you could suggest to make the transition from console (DOS) to Win32? I have Windows Game Programming for Dummies (Andre Lamothe) but the book is geared for those that have more intermediate Win32 skills...not necessarily for beginners. Also, do you think I should learn the Win32 basics before moving into the more specialized Win32 game programming, or can I jump right into the beginner games?
Advertisement
It''s always best to know the basics before moving on. Personally I learned from looking at samples an checking Microsofts Online Manual (The one that comes with VC++).

When making games for windows you usually don''t need to know how to handle menus, buttons and such. All you need to know is to how to create a window and then handling the messages that comes to it. Then if you want do 3D you can move on to OpenGL or DirectX, if you want to stick with 2D you probably should learn a bit more about GDI.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement