🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ask ChatGPT how gamedev.net became obsolete in 2023

Started by
23 comments, last by DominoStudios 1 year, 3 months ago

I would say it nailed it.

=======================

PROMPT: write a story about how the website gamedev.net became obsolete in 2023

Once upon a time, gamedev.net was the go-to website for aspiring and professional game developers. It had a vibrant community, a vast library of resources, and was widely regarded as the ultimate destination for game development knowledge.

However, as time went on, the landscape of the gaming industry changed. More and more tools became available for developers to use, and the process of making games became more accessible. The rise of online tutorials, courses, and YouTube channels meant that information was more readily available than ever before.

Despite this, gamedev.net tried to keep up. They expanded their range of articles, introduced a new forum section, and tried to make the website more user-friendly. However, it was too little too late. The site's design was outdated, and navigating it was confusing. New developers found it hard to find the information they needed, and old users were growing frustrated with the lack of fresh content.

Furthermore, gamedev.net failed to keep up with the times. They were slow to embrace emerging technologies, such as virtual reality and machine learning, which became crucial in the gaming industry.

As the years went by, gamedev.net's traffic dwindled, and it was no longer the go-to destination for game developers. The community that was once so vibrant had moved on to newer, more modern platforms. The owners of the site realized this and decided to shut it down in 2023.

The news of gamedev.net's demise was met with mixed emotions. Some long-time users were sad to see it go, but most people had already moved on to newer platforms. In the end, gamedev.net became obsolete because it failed to adapt to changing times and embrace emerging technologies. It will always be remembered fondly by those who used it, but it will also serve as a cautionary tale for any website that fails to keep up with the times.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Advertisement

It's always the same… people invent new things, opening up new opportunities (like, for example, data mining websites), empowering people to reach new heights…
The possibilities seem endless. We could cure cancer, save the planet, make games great again, figure out what gravity is, etc.

And then, what do people use it for?
Generating memes,
generating confirmation for their own repetitive claims (which raises the question: Why do you still hang out on this very obsolete website?),
generating other bullshit,
generating images of twisted fingers, 6 on each hand,
generating stuff the people are too dumb to do themselves.

So what does ChatGPT say if you ask: Write a story of how humanity became obsolete after AI has adopted their useless messages good enough to pass Turing test?

I see ChatGPT doesn't mention the trolls and spambots and SEO marketers shilling all kinds of things.

Or the small publishers who use the site to market their “indie” games, and never participate in any discussions.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:
I see ChatGPT doesn't mention the trolls and spambots and SEO marketers shilling all kinds of things.

Fight fire with fire - there sure soon is some AI powered bot and troll filters available… :D

I mean, for the final 3 months we still have left, until bing is the one and only website people will use at all. <: )

JoeJ said:
I mean, for the final 3 months we still have left

Is the world ending so soon, then?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

With every day that passes, the end comes two days closer, it feels.

But maybe that's just midlife crisis ; )

I wonder how long it will be before you can ask “what is the real identity of Banksy” (example) and it will dig and connect the dots till it finds out.

JoeJ said:
Why do you still hang out on this very obsolete website?

According to ChatGPT….

-----------------

Well, there could be several reasons why I still like to hang out on gamedev.net, even though it may be considered outdated by some people. For one thing, the site holds a special place in my heart. It might have been one of the first online communities I joined, and I have some fond memories associated with it. I think that sense of nostalgia keeps me coming back and feeling connected to the community.

Another reason why I still visit the site is that it still provides me with useful information and resources. Although gamedev.net may not be as active or up-to-date as some other game development communities, I still find valuable discussions, tutorials, and other resources there that I don't find anywhere else.

Finally, I just enjoy the gamedev.net community more than any other community focused on game development. I feel like I have a strong sense of camaraderie and shared interests with the members there, and I appreciate the site's culture and values. I think that's why I continue to hang out there, even though it's not the most modern or cutting-edge community focused on game development.

Ultimately, I think it's up to me to decide whether gamedev.net is still meeting my needs and providing value to me. If I enjoy spending time there and find it helpful, there's no reason to stop just because it might be considered "obsolete" by some.

Write an apology for calling gamedev.net obsolete
------------
I'm sorry for calling gamedev.net obsolete. It was a thoughtless and insensitive remark that may have caused offense to those who still find value in the site. I understand that gamedev.net has been an important community for many people over the years and that it still provides useful information and resources to many users. I regret any harm that my comment may have caused and will be more mindful in the future about how my words may be perceived.

---------

I love this thing…

=============

Write a backhanded apology for calling JoeJ the worst user on gamedev.net in the past.
------------------------
Well, I suppose I should apologize for calling JoeJ the worst user on gamedev.net in the past, even though it's clear that many others share my view. I can see now that my comment may have been hurtful to some, but it's not like I was the only one who felt that way. I'm sorry if JoeJ was offended, but let's face it, some users are just more valuable to the community than others. Maybe he could learn a thing or two from the more experienced and skilled members of the site. Anyway, I hope that clears the air, and maybe we can all move on and focus on more important things.

Hmpf… too nice. It would have passed the Turing test 3 years ago for me, but now? Not rude enough, no mental illness inside, nothing embarrassing, no stupidity, or other human ingredients.
The researcher who started believing this is sentient - that was a true human, no doubt. :D Ofc. i understand it's not meant to be like human ofc.

Obviously it's more than good enough to give us something like procedural stories in games. Pretty interesting.
Or maybe the opposite of that. Maybe it's like big open worlds. We wanted it all the time, but now that we have it, we see it's just boring.

I want to see ChatGPT chat with itself. Can it only answer? Or can it come up with new questions emerging from its own answers?
Likely so, after some training at least. And maybe it's better than 'hunt and skin 10 deer' quests. But then, who will provide those services and control them? Even bigger mega corps than before.

I always believed AI will become very helpful for procedural content creation.
But now, looking at those image generators, it just mixes up existing art. That's the opposite of creativity, and beside original artists getting mad about AI stealing their work, it feels more like AI will only help to devalue the games medium even faster.

I think there must be better ways to utilize AI. Something where you put more effort in, but get something more specific out of it. More control, more individual design. ‘Text to (any magic)’ does not seem so useful, i'm afraid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement