🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Noob looking for guidance (Build Engine)

Started by
3 comments, last by 8Observer8 3 years, 1 month ago

Good morning! So I am new to all of this. I grew up playing Doom, Blood, Heretic, Wang, all the classics, and I would love to try my hand at learning Build Engine and creating my own game. Will I make the next Ion Fury or Duke 3D? Probably not, if we're being realistic. At best, Chex Quest. At worst, Noah's Ark 3D. Either way, I want to try. I've tried googling information, but all I really get is building car engines and mechanic pages. Does anyone know where I can get the Build software, or any good reading or tutorials? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Advertisement

Coopernius said:
Noob looking for guidance (Build Engine)

Building a game engine (or using The Build Engine, if that's what you're saying) is not a Game Design topic. Game Design is not programming. Thread has now been moved to the “Noob” forum, which we call the “For Beginners” forum. We don't use the term “noob” much here.

Coopernius said:
I've tried googling information, but all I really get is building car engines and mechanic pages

If you inserted the word “game” before “engine,” that probably would have gotten different results. I tried Googling “the build engine for making games” and the info you were seeking came up immediately - including a Wikipedia article. Nothing about cars or mechanics came up at all.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Coopernius said:
Does anyone know where I can get the Build software

From the original developer:

http://advsys.net/ken/buildsrc/

I guess there are other options, as it's still widely used in modding communities.

OpenGL 3D Game Tutorials by ThinMatrix

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRIWtICgwaX0u7Rf9zkZhLoLuZVfUksDP

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement