🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Do you know Einstein's relativity?

Started by
15 comments, last by taby 3 years, 6 months ago

I wrote up a paper on relativity, and entropy. Feel free to flame the hell out of it. LOL

https://github.com/sjhalayka/papers/blob/main/space_travel/bezier_escape.pdf

Advertisement

Unfortunately, you've have some gaps in your knowledge. I'll try to explain where you went wrong the best I can.

First off, the 2nd law of thermodynamics is a very common misunderstood concept, and it does not apply here. It's not really as much of a law as you think it is because it has a very important, thought often left out qualifier. The energy of a CLOSED system must be constant. You are talking about both spacetime and the quantum foam, neither are closed systems, because of uncertainty. In GR, you can't ever really know a system is closed because you can't know ANYTHING without some delay. In QM, the uncertainty of where a particle is or how much energy it also can not be known. The universe is an open system, so the 2nd law doesn't apply.

Time dilation does not disrupt anything. For the point of view of a galaxy a billion light years away, you are massively time dilated right now. When you put a clock in a gravity well what happens depends entirely on whether you are with the clock, or far away from the clock. If you are with the clock, nothing happens, the clock ticks normally, but you may notice the rest of the universe speeds up a slightly. If you are outside of the well looking in, the clock appears to have slowed down. The, however, is where most people get confused. The clock only APPEARED to slow down, it didn't, TIME slows down in the well. If you take the clock out of the well, it will continue to function properly, it's just behind because it experienced less time in the well. We know this works because GPS sats are made in the well of Earth, then sent high in orbit, and their clocks were specifically designed to account for both the reduced gravity well and the speed of orbit.

You also seem to confuse the terms event horizon with something to do with the gravity well. The gravity well creates an event horizon, but it doesn't have to. Earth has a gravity well, and no event horizon. The event horizon is the point of no return, where space itself is falling into a black hole faster than light itself. Nothing can escape it, not even in theory. You seem to have a low level idea of Hawking radiation, as this does happen at the boundary of an event horizon. It's commonly explained that a pair of particles spontaneously form at the boundary, one is inside and one is outside so one escapes. This is a heuristic explanation of what's happening, it's actually being caused the space falling in creating what's called the Unruh effect.

You can't combine probabilistic QM with the absolutism of GR. Ever.

Thank you so much for taking the time to critique the paper. I will definitely take what you say into consideration.

OK, yes, I'm familiar with GPS, Pound-Rebka, etc. I am also familiar with Hawking and Unruh radiation.

I am also very familiar with entropy – the average information per datum, at the heart of it.

In any case, the only point where I must beg to differ is regarding the topology of the Universe. It is known to be flat.

P.S. Don't forget to read the very latest version of the paper: https://github.com/sjhalayka/papers/blob/main/space_travel/bezier_escape.pdf

I update it many times a day,

I'm working on writing things to address your concerns.

I regret the old good days where the flaming was so intense in this website that there was a proper flame squad ready to attack anyone or anything.

It is now no longer hip to flame. We all play nice. :P

the topology of the Universe. It is known to be flat.

What do you mean? The shape of the universe is a disc? Like most galaxies have spirals on a disc? And so we know big bang happened at the center, and where this is?
Or is it a huge plane with no known center, no known boundary?
I really don't know what's current state of research is.

I always wondered why most galaxies are planar. Recently i came up with a physical theory, but i have forgotten.
I guess at least this could be explained?
Oh, i remember: If we get an eddy, e.g. from some explosion, the eddy has to expand on a plane. Uniform expansion in all directions is not possible because Navier Stokes, so a disc shape becomes natural. Just my guess…

You’re right. If the Universe is closed, then it is the 3D boundary / surface of a 4D ball. This is kind of like the 2D surface of a 3D ball, but one dimension higher. The boundary of a boundary is non-existent, and there is no centre.

as for a flat Universe, I believe it to be finite in size. It’s a personal preference.

You’re right. If the Universe is closed, then it is the 3D boundary / surface of a 4D ball. This is kind of like the 2D surface of a 3D ball, but one dimension higher. The boundary of a boundary is non-existent, and there is no centre.

umm… so with ‘flat universe’ you mean the surface of a hypersphere? What's the 4th dimension then - Time? Is time a dimension at all, considering it goes into only one direction?

Do you refer to this recent thingy about ‘information on the event horizon of black holes fabricates spacetime’? (which i surely got totally wrong as well)

as for a flat Universe, I believe it to be finite in size. It’s a personal preference.

Sounds we still don't know the shape of the universe, and rely on various models instead.
I'll keep this in mind: ‘The boundary of a boundary is non-existent, and there is no centre.’ - sounds like a useful model to make some sense out of all that paradox stuff. : )

Personally i like the periodic universe of PacMan. Right out, left in. That makes sense for real :D

@JoeJ Yes, PacMan's toroidal topology kicks ass. Let me be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what the shape would be if flat. It's ingrained into my psyche that the Universe is closed, just reallly, really big. Well, I suppose the 4th dimension would be space. That coordinate does not come it effect when it comes to giving a coordinate to an event in the hypersurface (if the Universe is closed). It's kind of how your mailing address doesn't specify how high above sea level you are. As for the shape of the Universe, the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation analysis shows that the Universe is flat.

@programmer71 LOL. It's all good. Just make sure to watch your F**KIN language. Hahaha.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement