🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone else listen to hurdy gurdy music?

Started by
2 comments, last by Gnollrunner 3 years, 7 months ago

My mother was from Jerusalem and I remember her telling me years ago about street hurdy gurdy players. I never paid much attention but a few months ago I caught one on YouTube by chance. Wow! It's a really cool instrument. Now I go search out videos.

In any case it suddenly struck me that it would be perfect for background music for certain types of games. It has a really epic sounds, somewhere between a bagpipe and a violin. I've even seen guys do drums at the same time with feet. Also the instrument itself has special rhythm strings called trompettes. Some players have pedals and effects a bit like a guitar. I figure you could hire one guy to play background music and it might be fairly inexpensive.

Advertisement

-lol- u gotta luv that name hurdy gurdy;

i checked it out on tube;

it's fun for sure ?

@undefined It's actually French originally and apparently about a 1000 years old. It's possible to switch on and off the drones, depending on the kind of music you want to play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement