🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Understanding sound from the developers' side.

Started by
3 comments, last by sealiteral 3 years, 8 months ago

In my attempt to understand better the sound design and the way game developers see it. I have created a survey to ask you, the core of the industry, what the challenges are, what is missing from the link, and more.

If you have time to chill I ask you kindly to help me understand better what you think of sound in game development.

Fill the survey below:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd1x9E8TdPNBJO7Q-uqG3mcbje5n8G8fy5kf4V-sCV2Yo2kbw/viewform

thanks for the support.

None

Advertisement

Mind telling us more about you, and why you are taking this survey?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hello Tom and the rest, of course, I can and I apologize if I was not clear from my post.

My name is Panos, I am a freelancer sound designer. As I do not know a lot of game developers to talk directly, I try to understand more how game developers see sound, what are the issues they meet in sound implementation, what are the issues they meet in the communication of it, etc. Help me understand better what the games and their creators need, in order to be able to help more and on the point you need it. The survey will not be published anywhere, It is one way for me to understand what I do (sound design ) but from the side of the people that receive my results.

None

On a scales from 1 to 5, how important are sound effects in an action game? How important are they in an adventure game? How about music? Is that the other way around? Really, questions about how important something is in games in general are hard to answer, because they will vary from game to game, even between games made by the same developers. Maybe you could have phrased to refer to the developer's most recently released game or something. In my most recently released game, I decided it should be possible to play it without looking at the screen, and I made that decision before I figured out which colours I wanted in the visuals. But that's just one game, it's not that I think audio should matter that much in all games (I know more deaf people than blind people, and guess which of those two types of audience are easiest to make games for). Then again, that was a jam game, and my next game is going to be for another jam. I guess professional game developers will be somewhat different from me, but I figured they too would have answers vary wildly from game to game. I'm probably not taking the survey (and I think this message would be more useful to you than the answers I could give to the multiple-choice questions anyway).

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement