🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help needed: Gamedev rates estimation

Started by
0 comments, last by programad 3 years, 9 months ago

Hi, everyone.

I am preparing to implement an estimate tool into my gamedev platform and I need a help from fellow gamedev professionals.

The tool will ask the visitor a few questions about how many characters you want in your game, how many levels, art style, how many songs, and so on, and the tool will calculate estimates on how much would cost to produce a game with those characteristics.

In order to achieve that, I need a sample mass of data and I want to ask you guys to fill the following spreadsheet with your own rates. To ensure we are on the same page, every value estimate should be in USD and every time estimate should be in hours. (please, if you need to use decimal, use . as a separator)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gnw_-_bDCB8TLnnxqed3t8kZbxznZhjSTfoF7Kud0uA/edit?usp=sharing

(I added a single line just as an example and I will delete it after some entries are added by you guys)

There is no need to identify yourself, just add value to the specific game elements and I will do the calculations with that. I will apply some mathematical concepts like mean, median, mode, minimum, maximum, percentage, deviation and will return a comprehensive report on the proposed game scenario, simple enough so any person on any company will be able to understand the complexity of the game development industry. Please notice that each element is related to 1 unit of its kind. Example: 1 character concept art is one piece of character concept art, not a level concept art. In 3d art, 1 unit is one character or asset, not an entire level.

The tool will also help you if you are a lone wolf. For example: if you are a programmer and need to freelance artists for your project, you can calculate the estimates so you can adjust your budget to effectively acomplish the project goals. If you are an artist and need some code, just use the tool to know how much money you would spend on freelancer programmers.

I have been researching this for quite a long time and I asure you guys the tool will be nice and will help you to show your clients or employers on how much effort is needed to produce a quality game.

Any suggestion is welcome and as you know I am not perfect and I may have missed some elements of game development on the spreadsheet, so, feel free to ask me to add to it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement