🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I made a game in 1 week!

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDevSeal 4 years, 4 months ago

Here's the itch.io link so you can test it :) https://gamedevseal.itch.io/rolling-downhill

It's a game about dodging obstacles sideways while going downhill over 5 levels that increase in difficulty.

The game is already released and finished but I'm still curious about what you guys think because I want to improve when I make my next game! Thank you for taking the time to see this post and let me know what you think :)

I made a youtube devlog video documenting the making of this game in case you are interested in the process!

I make daily youtube videos, where I talk about aspects of game development, videos like:

• A tool that helped me craft great elevator pitches
  • 10+ Best Game Dev Courses for Beginners, etc.
Advertisement

I'm currently on a Mac so unfortunately I can't run your demo, but I applaud anyone finishing a game in one week.

However, what I'm missing from the video is the necessary polish like title screens, settings, hud etc. which are generally expected in a ‘finished’ game. It could make the difference between a tech demo and something you can actually ship as a game.

It also adds a lot of complexity to your code, so it's good practice. If you assume those are small things you can easily tag on later, you will be surprised.

@Prototype Indeed! ? I set up a deadline for myself and as it was approaching, I realized I wouldn't have time for the rest of important elements.

I had to cut important parts of the project, and keep only the absolutely essential. Thank you for the feedback! I will certainly consider it for longer projects!

I make daily youtube videos, where I talk about aspects of game development, videos like:

• A tool that helped me craft great elevator pitches
  • 10+ Best Game Dev Courses for Beginners, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement