Advertisement

What's your story: How and why did you start learning how to make games?

Started by April 16, 2018 11:28 PM
37 comments, last by mikeman 6 years ago

I started writing and I realized I'd already written this story before, so to save time, I'll just link it here :)

Let's see...

I think it started at an early age. I remember clearly at age 11 drawing a platformer level on a bit of paper. I had absolutely no clue how to do anything back then (1997) but I definitely wanted to.

The next step was when I started playing Final Fantasy games. I loved them so much I remember I joined a forum dedicated to the games. IIRC it was through there that I encountered RPG Toolkit, the first game dev software I ever used. I started making a very basic game on there. Soon after that I switched to RPG Maker 2000 - the old bootleg version by Don Miguel - this was around 2003ish. I created a complete RPG based on the community on Bolt.com, which was a really popular community site for teens at the time. It was really not a good game, but it was so much fun. Since then I've got a Masters in Animation and during that degree I made a game with some programmers for a class. It was atrociously made, because we only had 3 weeks to do it and none of us were very familiar with Unity, which was the software we had to use. But since then I have learned a great deal about the art side of Unity, and have been working on an RPG using ORK Framework. Yeah, still on my RPG phase lol.

So I guess my life has flirted with game dev for a very long time. 

Edit: Oh! I forgot to mention, in 2001 I made a silly game in QBASIC, as that was what we were being taught in my Computing Studies class. It was pretty lame, but it helped me learn the logic of programming, which would help me when I started learning Web development a few years later.

? ------     ------ ?

Advertisement

A lot of good reads here..

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, khawk said:

I got a job in the simulation training industry - basically serious games

Yes agree ? i’ve worked on programming games and military simulators.  The day to day job is similar. Games are mostly simulations with human-in-the-loop.  Only difference is the military simulator had to be accurate, and a game just has to look a feel accurate.  I think I will write my story up in a bit.

This is my story on how and why I programmed games and got into the games industry.

For me, it all started with the home computer revolution which happened here in the UK during the early 1980s. It almost seemed compulsory that all households had to buy a computer - ours was a Acorn BBC micro.  The user interface on these computers was primitive and you needed some technical knowledge just to use them.  Books and magazines taught you this and encouraged you to learn more, however, most people just played games on them including myself which I loved! Initially I had limited access to games, so my Dad brought a book of 20 games that you had to type in yourself into the computer. These games were in BASIC and was suppose to have an element of learning about them.  Anyway I typed them in and got them working... eventually.  After many months of doing this, you get a feel of the code you're entering.  When you see a few lines of code which kind of read.

lives=3
Def proc TouchedAlien
    lives=lives -1
   if lives = 0 then goto GameOver

It doesn't take long to work out how to modify the code in order to cheat at the game.  Also I started to modify the code more to add features and also brought a book dedicated to learning BBC BASIC.  I started making my own primitive graphics games and text adventures.  I would typically write something in a weekend or week.  Some I finished others not but overall I got reasonably good at this.

However, my games were very primitive and ran slow.  I found out commercial games weren't programmed in BASIC but instead programmed in something called Assembly. For me, owning a BBC micro, it was 6502 Assembly.  I dabbed in and out trying to program in 6502 but it completely baffled me.  Total hieroglyphics!  It made no sense.  There wasn't really many resources available teaching you this advanced stuff at the time, but with a lot of perseverance and trial and error I eventually got there. There really was a moment when it all clicked.  Suddenly I understood it!

Programming up to then was an occasional hobby and I still mostly played games. However because of my new found skill my life was about to change.  I stopped playing games and became absolutely obsessed with programming assembly languages and mastering it.  I use to lay in bed at night spending hours thinking of the fasted sprite routines I could do.  New computers came along and I got hold of a cheaper model Archimedes and learnt ARM assembly.  I then wrote a game in ARM Assembly which was near 'commercial' quality.  I didn't approach any publishers about it though because I was shy, naive and also perhaps understanding that writing commercial games was a full time job - I was still a kid at college.  I had signed up to a BTEC software engineering course and then later a similar Degree course at university. These were very new courses at the time and only been running a few years.  Because of the time constraints studying, I stopped writing games and got heavily into the 'Demo' scene. 

This was late 1980s early 1990s.  Demos were just programs showing off some graphical effect pushing the hardware to the absolute limit.  Importantly they could be programmed a lot quicker than a proper game and fitted into my life pattern.  Typically I would program some demo and upload it onto a BBS for people to download and watch. I even wrote a megademo (a collection of demos stringed together) but then I was done with this kind of thing.  Also I had left University, was broke and needed any kind of programming job to start my career. 

I got a programming job working on a Military simulator.  This was ok but the thought of writing games for a living was still at the back of my mind.  After a few years I applied for programming jobs in the games industry and got accepted at a company! I believe this was because I had advanced C++ skills now and the games industry was moving more towards this language.  I then worked on commercial games for the original PlayStation, PS2, original XBOX, PC and Dreamcast.  I enjoyed my time in the games industry but in 2004 I sort of retired from it, partly because of the stability of the companies I worked for, partly because I didn't feel like I was a true gamer i.e. I only occasionally played games and didn't know much about other games out there.  But mostly because normal programming contracts became available to me which paid a LOT more. I got sucked into the more money option. ;)  

These days I mostly look after young kids.  It has reminded me, watching the kids play, that sometimes you just do things for fun.  We forget that as adults,  it's not all just 'I'm not getting out of bed unless you pay me £high per hour to write some code'.  For this reason I recently wrote a simple android game in my spare time, just for fun, totally free.  Reminded me of my old demo days.

Interesting stuff @desiado ! Thanks for sharing. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

I love playing video games and learning about information technology and after finishing high school I went to community college to do computer science. I will honestly say that programming wasn't really my cup of tea however I could do some stuff with it. After leaving community college and all my friends went of to university I was thinking of ways how I could start my career in it. At first I was ultra interested in cyber security and I started to study real hard to get knowledgeable in that area, at one point I was even willing to do illegal stuff to gain money. Then one day i was browsing online on how to make some money and I was on a game forum (don't remember the name) where some people where talking of how much money they were making creating from their games and it intrigued me. So I quit learning cyber security and went full time into game dev. So far I have finished one simple 2d game that I intend to publish but am saving some money for some fees. I just love game dev,working with different software, creating all the assets then bringing them together to create something marvellous, creating soundtracks, coming up with the idea and plot for the game all these things get me pumped.

//Dre Reid\\

Advertisement

I`m new to the game developing, but I do really love this thing! I was an artist, so I have never thought I would be interesting in developing games, lol. 

Lets start the story... You all may know Subway Surf. I was 13 when I get a new phone for my birthday and I downloaded this app. All my friends had the SS by the time, but my phone wasn`t suitable for the games. I was so envious back then haha...

But I downloaded the game as soon as I unpacked a new device. I wasn`t very good with Subway, so I didn`t earn lot of money. Then my older brother suggested to hack the game for me (he is a programmer now, he doesn`t hack these days lol). I was watching the whole process of him hacking the game and wooow. "It looked so incredible!" I thought. So David helped me to learn some things about Android and game developing.

Then I dropped this hobby because of school. But like a year ago I decided to start again. Now I`m trying to develop my skill!

On 4/23/2018 at 6:57 AM, desiado said:

Only difference is the military simulator had to be accurate, and a game just has to look a feel accurate.

Very much this. For a long time - and even still in some cases - Unity and Unreal couldn't handle the requirements for military simulation without major customization. Things like large scale terrain data sets, 10+km object visibility, physics accuracy, multi-faceted scoring systems, interoperability requirements with legacy systems, man-machine interfaces, training scenario tooling, and so on. Of course these continue to improve and become less of a gap, but at the time it's why we ultimately went with a homegrown solution.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Cool thread.

My love for games goes back to the Atari days, where I would sit and play asteroids for hours. When others would be out swimming, I'd be in my aunt's house playing Mountain King on her Commodore 64. Fast forward to Nintendo, and Konami comes onto the scene with graphics that just blew me away. Capcom had a hand in there too with their exciting playability and good graphics. This inspired me to draw my own game characters and ideas for games, which was a lot of fun but led to nothing at the time. I went to the gaming convention when it came to town, and Megaman 2 was being teased with their innovative giant graphics that seemed like the kind you'd see in an arcade. Mortal Kombat also debuted at that show, and when Scorpion took off his mask to roast the loser, it was life-changing. You could do anything in a game. 

Later on I went to college for multimedia and the final project was to team up and create a game. But the game was to be created in Flash, which at the time was great for artists to dig in and make something - but you later learn that it is so far from what you need to know to Really create games. We created a game called Dusk that was similar to Shadowgate from Nintendo, where you'd explore a castle riddled with Slayer/Megadeth/other music tracks - and if you didn't get killed in 20 different animated ways, you could eventually beat the game. We later sold it to the school for marketing. This taught me that (a) I want to spend my life making video games, and (b) you can actually make money by doing it.

I ended up working in Marketing for a variety of companies over the next 20 years, during which time we developed games/apps for DreamWorks Animation, among other smaller companies. I still prototyped my game ideas in Flash right up until two years ago where I set it down for a little while, as it seemed like using that medium was constantly working against me. Three months ago I resolved to find something better, so I picked up Unity and started taking tutorials. It seems like a solid fit. I expanded on the most promising/fun game I had, and vowed to once-and-for-all work towards becoming a full-time game producer. I still have my client work during the day, but if I'm ever going to get to where I want to be, this is where I need to start. I would love to get a team going as that's always the best way to work, but everything in time. 

Specializing in 2D Game Design

12 hours ago, khawk said:

multi-faceted scoring systems

Could you elaborate on this one?

Hello to all my stalkers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement