🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Reddit can silently hide all of your mesages/topics

Started by
27 comments, last by haanuman 5 years, 12 months ago
On 2/15/2018 at 2:03 AM, khawk said:

Interesting.

If our GameDev.net spam signals trigger then you won't be able to post anything and will be told as much. Seems like a more user friendly way to handle it.

Wow, I've just realized who wrote this post. It's an honor to have you here, Sir.

I more than agree than notifications are much more user friendly than shadowbans. Being a terrible person :), I had experienced how GameDev's system works myself and I can say that it is more than friendly and fair.

At the same time I can see shadowbans being effective, but like I said, it needs to be controlled: if all the messages that are shadowbanned actually enter a queue and are read by a human at some point, so that a human can cherry pick which messages to show and which to keep hidden and maybe even decide to unban a person once their comment start to be proper, THAT would a fair and useful system. What I encountered was a broken piece of code.

Advertisement
3 hours ago, cubr said:

Being a terrible person :), I had experienced how GameDev's system works myself

So, you regularly post spam in forums until you are banned?

3 hours ago, cubr said:

and maybe even decide to unban a person once their comment start to be proper, THAT would a fair and useful system.

How about not posting "improperly" in the first place? THAT would be fair and useful behaviour on your side.

There are a lot of things wrong with reddit, and I can understand that this ban made you feel like an idiot. On the other hand, if you regularly post stuff in forums that makes mods ban your posts, it's only fair that you should feel like an idiot for some time.

12 minutes ago, hn17 said:

How about not posting "improperly" in the first place? THAT would be fair and useful behaviour on your side.

It's nice to see that people still can't read on the internet, let me just do the legwork for you, here is a quote from the reddit admin's response to my message about the shadowban (a post just 2 screens above yours):

Thanks for reaching out. Your account got caught up ACCIDENTALY when targeting some spammy signals. You are now no longer shadowbanned.

I once banned (and stay banned) on a computer graphic forum because of a debate on The Force Awaken movie. Let just say that the moderators are leaning on certain side, and when they can't debate me on facts, they just shadow banned me.

The reason they uses that because if other visitors notice the word banned under my account, or all my post are missing, then they know I was banned because of the film debate.

By shadow ban, all my post looks normal, but I'm locked from loggin to my account. So to others users, it look like I'm either no longer interested with the debate or just decided to leave the site.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one or many others were being shadowbanned due to that film debate, and these people share the story (being shadow banned) with other users (at other location). Not long, the forum become almost a ghost town. The mod has to post 7 month old news, hoping to attract reply, and the number usually under 5 replies.

I once met (in a way) one of the moderators at another computer graphic software forum, in a thread, so I decided to PM the mod. I was saying if the mod unbanned me, I can make the forum less ghost town-ish. The mod never reply. Oh well.

Wow, any ban let alone a shadow ban for disagreement in an off topic discussion is really abusive!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Guys and how to remove the shadow ban. For 23 days I have been in the shadows.

You would have to take that up with Reddit - they may or may not have done avenue of appeal.

We have nothing to do with Reddit.

- Jason Astle-Adams

3 hours ago, Kupe222 said:

Guys and how to remove the shadow ban. For 23 days I have been in the shadows.

Once you get shadowbanned nothing can happen 99% of the time, all you have to do is create a new account lol! I knew a lot of mods when this happened to my account but they only told me to create a new account instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement