🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What languages should a person learn to be a well-rounded programmer?

Started by
33 comments, last by trjh2k2 6 years, 9 months ago
9 hours ago, Alpha_ProgDes said:

9 hours ago, SillyCow said:

Besides, would you consider a gamedev that can't build a web server well rounded?

Do I need that programmer to problem solve or be devops? If the former, then yeah, that programmer is well-rounded (enough).

I do not consider myself an enterprise dev, but I develop alot of little webservers. I find that this is the fastest route for me to develop mobile-app prototypes. I can debug them on my desktop, and they are multi-platform (ios/android/everything else) by default. Also supports networking (and multiplayer) out of the box because most firewalls will allow port 80 egress even if they block everything else. So I consider it a very useful tool in my toolbox.

I have used webservers to do everything from tracking my friends' real life poker rankings, to making VR proof of concepts. Don't knock it until you try it :-) .

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Advertisement
4 hours ago, SillyCow said:

I do not consider myself an enterprise dev, but I develop alot of little webservers. I find that this is the fastest route for me to develop mobile-app prototypes. I can debug them on my desktop, and they are multi-platform (ios/android/everything else) by default. Also supports networking (and multiplayer) out of the box because most firewalls will allow port 80 egress even if they block everything else. So I consider it a very useful tool in my toolbox.

I have used webservers to do everything from tracking my friends' real life poker rankings, to making VR proof of concepts. Don't knock it until you try it :-) .

Well i am a full stack enterprise dev and nobody writes web servers... I think you mean web application or client/server development using something like nodejs.

48 minutes ago, Finalspace said:

Well i am a full stack enterprise dev and nobody writes web servers... I think you mean web application or client/server development using something like nodejs.

15 hours ago, SillyCow said:

Frameworks:

One of these (only if you are a games developer): OpenGL/Directx/Metal/Mantl

One of these: A popular webserver (tomcat/nodejs/python-WSGI)

Well, I certainly didn't mean that you should develop your own server. Just like I didn't mean that you should implement an openGL library directly over a graphics driver. I thought it was clear that you had to use them, not make them.

I meant that you need to learn to write a web-app using one of the popular servers.

PS: Even when I've had to develop my own web-servers in C++ (for extremely uncommon performance reasons), I used a library for the HTTP stuff...

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

17 hours ago, SillyCow said:

would you consider a gamedev that can't build a web server well rounded?

If you mean that this hypothetical person is entirely incapable of setting up a really basic webserver, then no, I'd say that's not super well rounded- not because of the lack of knowledge, but because of the lack of being able to problem solve and do research.  You can get a very basic (although super insecure) web server running pretty easily starting with zero pre-existing knowledge, after maybe 30 minutes of googling how to do it.

At the same time, I wouldn't expect the average gameplay programmer to know how to setup a web server off the top of their head.  But I would hope they could figure it out if they needed to,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement