🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

So... I don't have cancer. Yay!

Started by
15 comments, last by Embassy of Time 7 years, 2 months ago

As a recent "cancer survivor" (well, hopefully, takes up 5 or 10 years to be declared cancer free) I can relate to the feeling. Just had to go through an intense 6 months full of chemo and surgery to get to the point were doctors say they cannot see anything left, at the moment.

First checkup coming up in weeks.

Most important take away for me is 1) not all types of cancer are the same... I was lucky it seems, got hit by one which is easy to cure in an early stage because it is so common and usually found very early, 2) remaining positive throughout the diagnose and treatment is key, cancer treatment is a long and slow process, and 3) being in general good shape helps a ton should you one day get a positive result and have to go through treatment... if you smoke, are not sportive or have other diseases, you will suffer for it during chemo, believe me.

So congrats on the good news, and don't think too much about it. If it hits you, worrying about it will not help, only quick treatment and a positive spirit in the end.

Just don't skip the mandatory checkups as soon as you hit the appropriate age and visit the doctor sooner rather than later if you are in doubt.

Advertisement

As a recent "cancer survivor" (well, hopefully, takes up 5 or 10 years to be declared cancer free) I can relate to the feeling. Just had to go through an intense 6 months full of chemo and surgery to get to the point were doctors say they cannot see anything left, at the moment.

First checkup coming up in weeks.

Most important take away for me is 1) not all types of cancer are the same... I was lucky it seems, got hit by one which is easy to cure in an early stage because it is so common and usually found very early, 2) remaining positive throughout the diagnose and treatment is key, cancer treatment is a long and slow process, and 3) being in general good shape helps a ton should you one day get a positive result and have to go through treatment... if you smoke, are not sportive or have other diseases, you will suffer for it during chemo, believe me.

So congrats on the good news, and don't think too much about it. If it hits you, worrying about it will not help, only quick treatment and a positive spirit in the end.

Just don't skip the mandatory checkups as soon as you hit the appropriate age and visit the doctor sooner rather than later if you are in doubt.

Yeah, I agree. Luckily, even if/when mine hits, chemo is not needed, just some nasty surgery. High five on beating the thing, you make the future look a bit brighter for the rest of us. Thank you for that!!

[DEDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement