🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Feedback on my 3d Model

Started by
14 comments, last by Marscaleb 7 years, 2 months ago

Ok so clearly the front doesn't look even remotely aerodynamic. To that effect, I've made a new version that makes some changes. It's still fairly similar to the original design, but it should be somewhat more aerodynamic looking.

Personally I would go with an even sleeker, more aerodynamic design. Get rid of all straight surfaces and make sure everything is rounded.

With a sculpting tool, that should be pretty easy to achieve, same with nurbs (more work to get a complex shape right, less work smoothing the roundings like what is needed with a rough sculpt once the shape is correct). To get the polygon count down to acceptable levels for ingame use, a retopo is needed anyway, no need to hold back on polygons for the initial sculpt IMO.

I still think the rounded wings clash with the still boxier cockpit, and the anciliary fins which are straight.

Wingtips are to thin IMO compared to the bulk of the ship body and the base of the wings.

Air intakes and weapons could be integrated better to the body, more "aerodynamic"... at the moment these look rougher than on any WW2 era airplane (which of course where way more aerodynamic and advanced than most people believe, there is a reason why the WW2 Vintage fighters are still the fastest non-jet non-turboprop planes on the planet and used in air races).

On the positive side, save from the hard edges that scream "box modelling" to me (as opposed to sculpting in Blender sculpting mode, ZBrush or 3D Coat), the model looks more aerodynamic now.

Hmm, ok, well, I will probably have to make changes then in that case, somehow. I think what I'll probably do is just soften most of the edges to give it a more curved look (many of them are hardened right now).

I'm still in the process of things, and since I have a hand injury to deal with (long story), I'm a little slower than I'd like. In any case, here's some pictures of a preliminary texture set I've applied to this model in Unity:

screen-shot-2017-03-28-at-4-11-58-pm.png

screen-shot-2017-03-28-at-4-06-38-pm.png

I personally prefer the top one, but both are possibilities at this time.

This pic is more of a "for fun" pic I made:

screen-shot-2017-03-28-at-4-38-19-pm.png

Love to hear thoughts!

EDIT: Since it's somewhat tough to see the aileron textures, here's another close up shot of the aircraft:

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-29%20at%204.05.3

EDIT: Ok, clearly that picture isn't working. Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/agm988njlmsulwb/Screen%20Shot%202017-03-29%20at%204.05.38%20PM.png?dl=0

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement

You should aim to give the players the same feeling that the image does, getting a look like that in real-time is very difficult.

here's some pictures of a preliminary texture set I've applied to this model in Unity:

The second image looks more realistic, the problem with the large highlight on the first is, the further the craft is from the player the more it will shine.

Reflective light should be kept weak in games as not to highlight flaws of the engines. You will note that substance by default will keep gloss levels at 0.2, so as not to make game models shine too much.

@Scouting Ninja, The front of the craft is where I get most of the focused criticism. People find it oddly shaped. I was going for something futuristic and other-wordly (with the nose), but perhaps I should try to replicate the F-117 a bit more closely (especially in terms of the nose). Adding a more pointed nose would probably help that?

You shouldn't have asked what people think of the craft, you should have asked if it looked alien.

It doesn't look alien at first glance, in fact it looks like a human craft mixed with alien technology. Some colors are considered more alien, like green and purple, orange is a very industrious color there for also linked to struggle and theft.

My advice would be to add some sci-fi lights, although thin and sleek.

A other idea is to keep the craft as is and save it for the player's use, maybe allowing the player to upgrade to it when they find a alien artifact, or something.

You shouldn't have asked what people think of the craft, you should have asked if it looked alien.

It doesn't look alien at first glance, in fact it looks like a human craft mixed with alien technology. Some colors are considered more alien, like green and purple, orange is a very industrious color there for also linked to struggle and theft.

My advice would be to add some sci-fi lights, although thin and sleek.

A other idea is to keep the craft as is and save it for the player's use, maybe allowing the player to upgrade to it when they find a alien artifact, or something.

Yea, looking back my question wasn't well phrased. Sorry about that. But it does seem that i've more or less achieved the goal, since I was looking to create a fusion of human tech with alien tech. Certainly I will add some lights, maybe some emissive textures as well.

here's some pictures of a preliminary texture set I've applied to this model in Unity:

The second image looks more realistic, the problem with the large highlight on the first is, the further the craft is from the player the more it will shine.

Reflective light should be kept weak in games as not to highlight flaws of the engines. You will note that substance by default will keep gloss levels at 0.2, so as not to make game models shine too much.

Hmm, well, then I should probably try to stick with the second image.

You should aim to give the players the same feeling that the image does, getting a look like that in real-time is very difficult.

Well, I guess I'm on the right track then. My hope is that I can maintain at least this level, or get beyond this level of graphics capability.

I will post some more images soon of what I've got. Right now I'm still hammering out the textures. I've added more details, so hopefully it looks better! Just need a day or two to get them up!

Alright everybody, so some new pictures of the latest progress I've made!

screen-shot-2017-04-03-at-9-18-59-pm.png

screen-shot-2017-04-03-at-9-18-49-pm.png

screen-shot-2017-04-03-at-9-18-39-pm.png

screen-shot-2017-04-03-at-9-18-29-pm.png

I'll have some more pics in a day or two!

Well, so I've gone for finishing my work, and made a short video of the models. Here it is:

[media]https:

[/media]

I'd love to hear if anyone wants to add some feedback.

Thanks a lot in general guys, y'all have been really helpful :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement