🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need Review/Critique on icons/map/interface! - Borderlands apocalyptic theme

Started by
1 comment, last by ChriHK 7 years, 5 months ago
I'm looking to get some feedback on a interface icons i created for a game. The game was based on a post-apocalyptic setting where you have to choices to make your way to a safe base and avoid getting infected. The Style of the UI was simple with a borderland's game feel to it.
Any feedback or critique would be greatly appreciated so i can develop further than an artist.
recdidhsak18.png
ggu4bnh0cqko.png1la9b9e1mooa.pngj543uli48ya9.png
29270746270401.584e7912a1a38.png
59d9k5crmsn1.jpgjro8b90aosdh.jpg8lws3rp8hbls.jpg
Advertisement

There is too much of a contrast between the UI and the actual game art. The game art has more of a hand drawn, gritty and dirty look. The UI elements, while easily readable and identifiable, are a bit too clean and bombastic compared to the rest of the game. What makes it more jarring is that the status bars on the top left corner match the tone of the rest of your game. Perhaps reducing the saturation and making the icons a darker tone would help them match the rest of the feel of the game.

On what Martin said, I also agree that the icons look a bit too flamboyant in comparison to the background art/characters and that changing the saturation would help. Perhaps you could also add subtle shadows behind the icons (giving them a slight 2.5D feel) and more shading on the objects within the icons.

On another note, I don't know much about how your gameplay works but I'm fairly certain you don't need the eight icons at the bottom left (including the Toggle Inventory and Use/Swap Items buttons). Mostly because they block a fairly large portion of the screen and some might find it annoying. I like the weapon wheel in the last picture but maybe make it a bit smaller? Other than that, you're pretty solid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement