🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any portfolio advice for a UI Artist?

Started by
0 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 7 years, 5 months ago

Hi all,

I have a 2:1 graphic design degree and a passion for video games and believe this means UI artist is the role I should pursue. I've always dreamed of working in the industry.

I've been working in Admin in the finance sector for some time but it wasn't for me so I handed in my notice. I have enough savings to live off while I work on creating a portfolio. I'm very keen to get started, but unsure of what type of projects I should have in my portfolio for the UI artist role. What type of UI project would impress an employer most? Would looking at the UI of an old game and recreating it in a modern way be a good idea for a project? This was something I was potentially considering. I'd love to hear any other ideas.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

First and obvious thing to do is show how the UI will look from a players perspective, make mock scenes that shows your art at work.

If you plan on doing UI designs for mobile devices it helps to give a preview of the designs layout on the devices.

Don't flood the front page of your portfolio with animations and images, if it takes to long to load it will reduce the chances of you getting the job.

It helps to only keep the seven newest projects on the front page with links to older work.

DON'T use other people art, every thing in the image should be yours; that means you can't take a already made game and use it as a background for your UI.

Last go look on the web at portfolios made by others and note the things that you don't like.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement