🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How much shadow would Russia's hack cast on Trump's presidency?

Started by
71 comments, last by warhound 7 years, 5 months ago

Taking a good guess on this - Russia's hack (confirmed?) will cast a really dark shadow on Trump's first 4 years, meaning Russia (Puttin effectively) will do no wrong no matter what. I think it's a shame really. Worse still It gotten to the extent that Trump is even undermining US intelligence agency in this matter. Unprecedented for a president-elect

Gen Clapper told a hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday that Russian President Vladimir Putin had ordered the hack, and said the motive would be revealed next week.

And how does a briefing to the President-elect from an Intelligence-agency he doesn't trust, on a news-intelligence he doesn't agree with, work?

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement
Well,from what I heard, others already had access and the password on the email account was "password".

If this is also true, it's not like it even needs a foreign power to hack into it and someone needs lessons in IT security...

Taking a good guess on this - Russia's hack (confirmed?) will cast a really dark shadow on Trump's first 4 years, meaning Russia (Puttin effectively) will do no wrong no matter what. I think it's a shame really. Worse still It gotten to the extent that Trump is even undermining US intelligence agency in this matter. Unprecedented for a president-elect

Gen Clapper told a hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday that Russian President Vladimir Putin had ordered the hack, and said the motive would be revealed next week.

And how does a briefing to the President-elect from an Intelligence-agency he doesn't trust, on a news-intelligence he doesn't agree with, work?
Well, the people who already hated him will hate him even more, while the people who love him will continue to believe he can do no wrong, cause the media's rigged, the system's rigged, and only Trump and his lunatics are right anyways. Its a dark period in American history right now. There's nut jobs on both sides doing dumb shit, so the situation is becoming tougher to resolve as it is.

So in short, it's only going to make a difference for people who never bought Trump's bullshit to begin with. What I wonder now is how long will it be before the bubble of Trump support will burst.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Won't matter one bit to his moronic supporters; they'll just repeat the 'crooked Hillary' line and ignore the man-child who'll be in the Whitehouse in a few days time.

Between remembering to eat, breath and be racist fuckwits they don't have the brain power for much else...
I didn't vote, as I couldn't cast a vote for any of the three clowns running. That being said, I find this whole "Russia hacked the election..." nonsense a bit irritating. Even if they did hack the DNC's servers, all they did was to release emails showing unethical and potentially illegal behavior on the part of key members of the Democratic party. What happened was wrong, but it is a lie to say that Russia hacked the election. The democrat's dirty laundry was aired and they're mad. Understandable, but let's at least talk about what happened without all of the rhetoric. The DNC was hacked, not the election, and if anyone changed their vote based on the released details, it should be a wake up call for the democrats. When you cover up wrongdoing, you will eventually be exposed. Don't blame someone else for your failing when that happens.

I didn't vote, as I couldn't cast a vote for any of the three clowns running. That being said, I find this whole "Russia hacked the election..." nonsense a bit irritating. Even if they did hack the DNC's servers, all they did was to release emails showing unethical and potentially illegal behavior on the part of key members of the Democratic party. What happened was wrong, but it is a lie to say that Russia hacked the election. The democrat's dirty laundry was aired and they're mad. Understandable, but let's at least talk about what happened without all of the rhetoric. The DNC was hacked, not the election, and if anyone changed their vote based on the released details, it should be a wake up call for the democrats. When you cover up wrongdoing, you will eventually be exposed. Don't blame someone else for your failing when that happens.

I disagree with this logic. Yes what the DNC did was wrong. No question. But that does not change the fact that a foreign power did try to influence the election to get a guy who they like more, who is a lunatic. This is a foreign power that does not hold the American people's interests at the highest priority. This was not some charity hack so that Americans could choose the right guy. This was a deliberate attempt to harm America, or to make America a vassal state.

What about all the wrongdoing of Trump? Plenty there. And let's assume for a moment the DNC had done nothing (just imagine for a minute). Do you really think Russians would've been like "oh well, nothing here, let's move on. They'd keep digging. They'd make shit up and make it look real. They'd plant shit there then release it. There's still a lot of shit that they can almost certainly do, but it just so happens they found compromising stuff on the DNC. I personally hope this is the last we ever see of the Clintons and that the democrats get their shit together during the midterm elections so that this lunatic and his cronies don't damage the US further.

You're also talking about Vladimir Putin, who is not a shining example of democratic values, etc and whose aims have been very much to undermine the West for a long time.

That should be concerning.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I disagree with this logic. Yes what the DNC did was wrong. No question. But that does not change the fact that a foreign power did try to influence the election to get a guy who they like more, who is a lunatic. This is a foreign power that does not hold the American people's interests at the highest priority. This was not some charity hack so that Americans could choose the right guy. This was a deliberate attempt to harm America, or to make America a vassal state.

I get that, but let's be real here. Revealing emails did not impact this election. Did it swing some undecided voters away from the Democratic party? Yes, but there is no data to show it swung them to the Republicans. If I were a Democrat with concerns about my party, I would choose a party as close to mine as possible if I were to change my vote. That means Green party, Libertarian, etc., but NOT Republican. Personally, i didn't vote because I am a Republican and cannot stomach Trump. The Democratic party is as far from me ideologically, politically, and religiously as any party can get. The third part candidates were just Democrats in different clothing. One thing I know for certain though is that I would never have voted for Hillary. I would dare say the same could be said about Democrats and Trump.

The hacking didn't get Trump elected, so let's get past that nonsense and focus on going after the perpetrators for the crime of hacking. The "stole the election" is a sideshow.

Russia's hack (confirmed?)

The idea that Russia is hacked the DNC / the Hillary campaign in order to expose their corruption in order to sway the election towards Trump is a completely laughable insane conspiracy theory / propaganda campaign.
What on earth makes you take it seriously?

The fact that so many people are taking such obvious propaganda as fact, without any evidence whatsoever, is itself extremely troubling. Just as troubling as the fact that Trump is now president :P

I can easily imagine many groups attacking voting systems.

I can easily imagine those attacks changing the results of local elections, as many of these have a few hundred or thousand total votes and are decided by slim margin. There are always a few elections around the nation that are decided by a handful of votes, and always a few that result in a tie.

While I can imagine some modifications, I struggle to imagine those attacks causing widescale changes at the presidential election scale. There would need to be small attacks made at tens of thousands of unrelated disconnected systems affecting several million votes.

I think it is the current news of the day. In a few weeks there will be different news stories because it will be "olds" rather than "news". In a year it will be ancient history as far as news companies are concerned.

I can easily imagine many groups attacking voting systems.

If this were the case, then I would be outraged as well. However, this isn't the accusation. No right-minded Democrat thinks that Russia hacked any polling station. The "hacked the election" rhetoric should actually be "hacked a server". The line being drawn between the hack and election is based on the assumption that people that were exposed to the released emails voted for someone other than Hillary. To some extent, this did happen, but not enough to swing the election and even if that did happen, it only did so as a result of the Democrat's misdeeds being exposed. It is kind of hard for me to find the sympathy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement