🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GAMEDEV01 - a middling alcoholic tries to make games

Started by
16 comments, last by makabre 7 years, 5 months ago

Here's my feedback: I'm not a big fan of the video format you used. Too many memes, trying too hard to be funny / clever. I just care about the game, the game play, and maybe what it took to make it and what lessons I can learn from your efforts, good or bad. If the average attention span is 5-10 seconds, you need to get to the meat of your content within 5-10 seconds of the video. Introduce yourself. What did you do? Show it. Talk about it. Go into details. Don't worry if the frame / idea / thought takes 30-60 seconds to complete, I have the attention span. What I don't have patience for is a switch to five different reddit memes in the span of five seconds as a sentence is read out loud.

Hello Mr slayemin

I appreciate your honesty and forthrightness - I see what you mean regarding the jumpcut nature of the video format. I come from an editing background in media and we are encouraged to treat the audience as dismissive, and thus must throw a barrage of imagery at the viewer to keep their attention span. That combined with a need to please - and I'm sure my insecurities shine through in the form of overindulgence in irreverant ramblings. I am planning on setting up another video soon regarding elements within the software I use and will take what you said on board and restrain from 'overindulgence' as well as getting top the crux of said ramblings sooner rather than later. thanks again

What you're assuming is that your audience is going to get bored by the content within 3-5 seconds so you do a jump cut to a meme as an attempt to keep their attention. This is sort of a "hack" or bandage. Instead of trying to bandage or hack an attention issue, solve the root problem: Keep the content fascinating and interesting. If you can focus on content clarity and conciseness instead of jump cuts, you'll do great. People are interested by things which are novel. Look at the TED videos: It's one or two cameras focused on a speaker who gives a 10-20 minute talk, and there are very few cuts, yet the audience is very engaged by the content of the talk. Yeah, some people aren't going to have the attention span to focus for more than 5 seconds. Those people don't need to be catered to, and if you try, you're just going to lose them in 25-30 seconds instead of 5-10 seconds, and you'll irritate the rest of your audience who would've watched the whole video and everything else you post subsequently. I tentatively think you're aiming for the education / personal experience content category rather than entertainment, so that should be a consideration when you're doing your video editing and formatting.

Advertisement

My assumption is based on the track record of what people generally watch - I'm not being dismissive, but people like bright colours, fun, and some sort of humour to pique their interest, perhaps I need a big opening and settle down from there?. Saying that though I took your input to heart and have made a new video reeling in the memes and the irreveries and focused on a tutorial of sorts in the program I use (clickteam fusion) Not saying I have got ridden of those flourishes alltogether, its just significantly reduced from what it was.

I am indeed aiming for a personal education/personal experience angle to my videos but to have that without entertainment is like going to maths class where the teacher tells you to write what is in the book. Its unengaging, uninspiring and a little soul destroying.

As of now I shall keep tweaking how I progress with the format - but I think your comments have helped strike a balance whereas before it was 'way too much'

At least I think so anyway - this link here is to the new video, please give any criticism you can as I appreciate your input/bluntness

Okay, this video is a lot better. There are a few points I'd make:

1) You have the luxury of time on your side to figure things out and get them right. You shouldn't be confused or uncertain on how or why something works. Figure it out first, then explain it clearly in the video. If you have to make guesses or sound uncertain, it undermines your credibility as a source of expertise and authority on the subject.

2) If you know a section of your video and audio is out of synch, rather than apologizing for it with a caption, fix it. Reshoot it if you have to.

3) I have no idea what tool you're using to make games. I've personally never heard of a "fast loop", but I kind of understand what it is now. What would a code implementation look like? What's the conceptual idea behind it? What considerations would need to be made in terms of performance (if there are any)? I would generally say that the content should be tool agnostic, so you could say, "This is like having a for loop which does something X number of times per frame. These are a few examples of how this would be used..."

Here's a video I created a few days ago. It's not all that great in terms of polish and production values and it's totally informal, but I think it does have some valuable content:
[youtube]https:

[/youtube]

Thanks for your reply

The credibility issue you raise is good - and at odds with my meandering nature of talking oblivious to the message I'm trying to get across. So I just need a little more focus when making the videos really rather than going in 'blase'

The out of sync parts I was kicking myself about - but could not reshoot within a reasonable time due to my own personal time constraints. So I made decision in which I lose polish, but still have the general message out there which I intended... Just a shame my hard drive speed is buggered for some reason regarding this issue. That drive though now has been replaced.

Going into other coding territories would be a diservice to those that know a great deal more than I do regarding say 'unity' or 'c#' so I stayed away from that aspect.

I am glad I'm progressing. And I'm sure I'll start to have the template fixed on how I produce these videos soon because of your input.

Your video does have value there - in terms of what you explain and elaborate how your spiral works. But as you said polish and production value. If you put those in with perhaps a fixed script to help smoothen speech and diction. If you were going to have those kind of videos that is?

Thanks for your reply

The credibility issue you raise is good - and at odds with my meandering nature of talking oblivious to the message I'm trying to get across. So I just need a little more focus when making the videos really rather than going in 'blase'

The out of sync parts I was kicking myself about - but could not reshoot within a reasonable time due to my own personal time constraints. So I made decision in which I lose polish, but still have the general message out there which I intended... Just a shame my hard drive speed is buggered for some reason regarding this issue. That drive though now has been replaced.

1) Yeah, I would consider the first part as "doing your homework". You know what you want to say, how to say it, know what issues people are going to run into, give some fore warning, etc.

2) Personally, I wouldn't even publish a video I wasn't 100% happy with. The reasoning is that if you're trying to create a brand out of your video series, every video you put out is a "first impression" for people who discover it. What happens if its not a good one? Then they don't look at any of your other videos, no matter how good they may be. If its a good video, and they look at your other videos? Bam, new subscriber. You build a good following faster when you have good content people are interested in.

Going into other coding territories would be a diservice to those that know a great deal more than I do regarding say 'unity' or 'c#' so I stayed away from that aspect.

I am glad I'm progressing. And I'm sure I'll start to have the template fixed on how I produce these videos soon because of your input.
Your video does have value there - in terms of what you explain and elaborate how your spiral works. But as you said polish and production value. If you put those in with perhaps a fixed script to help smoothen speech and diction. If you were going to have those kind of videos that is?

1) doesn't matter, this can be fixed by doing your homework and preparing ahead of time. If you wanted to do a video on functions and passing data by value or reference, or do a video on pointers, and know nothing about it before you start, that's okay! When you do your research and practice at the subject and fully understand the ins and outs enough to be able to create a comprehensive video to teach others, whether you were an expert or not before you began is irrelevant -- you're an expert now.

2) I did something like 5 takes before I got the messaging right. It was meant to be a super informal video to show off something cool and explain why its cool, and there's no other objective behind it, so I didn't want to sink a bunch of time and money into making a big production out of it. If I do more videos, I'll probably write a short script or bullet points to hit upon, but that all depends on how I want to produce them and what their tone needs to be. When I make game play trailers, the production value will be a lot higher :)

Thankyou again for your candor Mr slayemin. I'm taking everything you have said on board and even invested in some softwares to make the process of editing easier with a final solution to my sync footage woes (premiere is being a bastard with mp4 capture files due to them being variable rate, this is fixed with a re-render in another application)

The following video has diluted alot from what you said previous and I have extrapolated on that to make another 'tutorial' video - for use funnily enough in audacity, making cool sfx

I think I'm hitting a a kind of rhythm to how I wish to progress with my channel and video style, it just took alot of 'growin pains' to get to this point.

I would tentatively say that this was a perfect video. I can't think of a single way to improve it.

:D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement