🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are there any good games that died because of bad publishing?

Started by
2 comments, last by Buster2000 7 years, 7 months ago

By bad publishing, I don't mean the publisher killed it. I mean maybe the game was good, but they didn't have proper publishing or inadequate. I guess I'm looking for a game that could have been great, but just had "bad" publishing. I suppose that will be difficult because if they had bad publishing, you probably didn't hear about them.

Advertisement

The Neverhood is a prime example of this.
It sold much much less than a 100 000 copies even though being a really good game with costly development.
"Reasons may vary", but based on the developer complaints, the publisher DreamWorks Interactive did close to zero marketing and promotion of the game :( ...

I loved the game, even though I was never a point and click fan. It managed to find a sweet spot of being challenging enough but having a really interesting and entertaining story/world/atmosphere.

Blog | Overburdened | KREEP | Memorynth | @blindmessiah777 Magic Item Tech+30% Enhanced GameDev

LucasArts have been pretty awful over the years. Grim Fandango stands out.

Pokemon GO?

I mean sure it was huge but they didn't have any real marketing or promotion and they didn't even hire a community manager just expecting to coast along purely off the Pokemon licence.

The game isn't "dead" yet but all the hype seemed to vanish pretty quickly in comparison to other mobile games such as Angry Birds, Candy Crush, Clash of Clans or even Words with Friends.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement