🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Also getting the PS4 pro? what to expect

Started by
12 comments, last by Gian-Reto 7 years, 7 months ago

Hi all,

Just 3 days of sleep, then I'll receive my new nice and shiny PS4 PRO.

But what will it bring me, what I didn't have with my 2 weeks ago sold 'regular PS4'.

I don't own a 4k TV yet (not planned also), so I'm hoping games will come out or be patched, to support 1080p with better graphics and/or higher framerates. From what I believe PS4 PRO games support can be one of these things/ settings (depending on the studio that releases the patch/ game):

1. 1080p output with better graphics/ higher framerates

2. 4K output if your TV supports it

If none of the above, for regular PS4 games, I believe the CPU speed is reduced to somewhat match the 'original PS4'.

Do you know if there are any 1080p supporting showcases around and/or patches expected on short sterm?

For what it matters, I play games like: A.C. Unity, Uncharted 4, Shadow Fall (awaiting Horizon Zero Dawn) on the PS4.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Advertisement

Hi all,

Just 3 days of sleep, then I'll receive my new nice and shiny PS4 PRO.

But what will it bring me, what I didn't have with my 2 weeks ago sold 'regular PS4'.

I don't own a 4k TV yet (not planned also), so I'm hoping games will come out or be patched, to support 1080p with better graphics and/or higher framerates. From what I believe PS4 PRO games support can be one of these things/ settings (depending on the studio that releases the patch/ game):

1. 1080p output with better graphics/ higher framerates

2. 4K output if your TV supports it

If none of the above, for regular PS4 games, I believe the CPU speed is reduced to somewhat match the 'original PS4'.

Do you know if there are any 1080p supporting showcases around and/or patches expected on short sterm?

For what it matters, I play games like: A.C. Unity, Uncharted 4, Shadow Fall (awaiting Horizon Zero Dawn) on the PS4.

So you're buying a PS4 pro when you already own a PS4, without having any idea what the differences are and without having a 4K TV? You area marketing person's dream.

you have to ask yourself what would motivate the studio's to go back to a game that has saturated in sales and update it for a smallish percentage of the market place.

Its worth remembering that the second hand market is still alive and well on consoles. Most people, if its single player, will buy these games second hand and the dev gets nothing (ofc if console gamers would embrace a little bit of DRM / online trading) we could cut out the middle man completely and it would be win-win for everyone).

Backwards compatibility/updates have always been oversold and then effectively ignored once the console are sold. Probably the studios will find any excuse to sell the game again "generic fps pro edition". Even when some ugly ass games from PS2 were ported to PC they wouldn't touch anything but the resolution (typically).

You might get higher resolutions by default.

I hope I'm wrong as I thought it was a pretty dick move by sony & ms. Consoles are dead to me.

Thanks.

@d000hg: not sure about being a marketing person's dream, what I know is that I'm an early adapter and planning to buy the PS VR in december. Which should take advantage of the PS4 pro in my opinion.

I'll have to await that upcoming (and existing) titles will get PS4 PRO support.

I assume there's no one else on the whole forum who made such a stupid decision as I did?

If by accident, you did; what do you expect/ any known showcases?

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

I hope I'm wrong as I thought it was a pretty dick move by sony & ms. Consoles are dead to me.

All hail to the Switch! Bringer of hope! Harbinger of a New Age!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS4 PRO and Xbox Scorpio seems to be 4K VR platforms really. Or am I wrong?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

All hail to the Switch! Bringer of hope! Harbinger of a New Age!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS4 PRO and Xbox Scorpio seems to be 4K VR platforms really. Or am I wrong?

Potentially the Switch could change things, but I'm personally not super interested. My major gripe with the PS4 Pro is the lack of 4K blu ray support. Without that, it's just not worth the money they are asking.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Every game that's being released as of now will have better graphics and/or framerate on the Pro than the base PS4.

Older ones may or may not be patched - I'm not sure if there's a way to find out besides following the news updates on every particular game you're interested in.

IIRC, Sony is mandating that all games continue to support the original PS4, and essentially mandating that all new games support the Pro's extended capabilities in some way, for most games that will mean 1080p upscaled approaching 60fps for original and 4k upscaled approaching 60fps for extra crispy Pro, at minimum, with many games probably also provide a setting for true 1080p at a solid 60 FPS with higher fidelity on the Pro hardware as well -- a lot of the market doesn't have 4K yet so that power might as well be put to good use.

For me, with my very nice, very low-latency 1080p television I'm looking forward to the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio giving me a really good 1080p experience and that's worth the cost of upgrading. Neither machine is really capable of 4K/60 without rendering tricks anyhow, it'll be another proper generation before that happens.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Neither machine is really capable of 4K/60 without rendering tricks anyhow, it'll be another proper generation before that happens.
The rendering tricks look do pretty good though :D

Checkboard 4K (50% 4K) is almost imperceptibly different to true 4K in a lot of cases. Just look at rainbow 6 seige with it's 540p rendering and 1080p output -- they're using the same checkerboard trick, and most people haven't noticed.

for most games that will mean 1080p upscaled approaching 60fps

Checkboard 4K (50% 4K) is almost imperceptibly different to true 4K

Yea its not upscaled 1080p. I work on Killing Floor 2 and its 3200x1800 effectively. So its not native 1800p but it looks pretty freaking good for a 400 complete system. I spent 400 on my 1070 alone to do full 4k native, so for console gamers, it is pretty legit. Also, buy Killing Floor 2 please.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement