🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

This is a joke! (US Presidential Election Thread)

Started by
209 comments, last by rip-off 7 years, 7 months ago

FBI trying to influence the outcome of this so important election makes US election a joke. Having known about this for many weeks and choosing the 11th hour to announce a new investigation? And deliberately withholding further details [all actions for maximum effect? After Wikileaks failed?] Seriously?

Democracy in the US [at least in this year's election] is dead

Were it a country whose decisions don't affect the rest of the world, I wouldn't have given a hoot about this. But still a joke and laughing stock

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement

I seem to have the opposite impression - that they're going extremely soft on her simply because she is running for president. If they wanted to influence the election they could've pushed for a prosecution... They're being quite lenient so as to not be seen as meddling in the election.

But, I guess that in itself is meddling in an election -- allowing someone to avoid disqualification.

It is also important to note that the FBI operates under the oversight of the Justice Department and President, both firmly in Hillary's camp. I'm wondering if this isn't a ploy to set up for a possible lawsuit should she lose.

What is so bad about employment opportunity returning to the U.S.?

If you support a minimum wage and high employment, then you can't support Hillary since her donors are in favour of unrestricted free-trade (which means you[they - U.S. workers] would be competing with the minimum wage of the poorest countries).

Incidentally, just out of curiosity, what were some of the reasons of why you opposed Brexit?

What is so bad about employment opportunity returning to the U.S.?

If you support a minimum wage and high employment, then you can't support Hillary since her donors are in favour of unrestricted free-trade (which means you[they - U.S. workers] would be competing with the minimum wage of the poorest countries).

Incidentally, just out of curiosity, what were some of the reasons of why you opposed Brexit?

Um... I guessing you posted in the wrong thread?

Um... I'm guessing you posted in the wrong thread?

No. This is a continuation of a thread that got locked and it was suggested to wait until the next presidential debate before discussing the topic any further.

Also, G.O.D. is form the UK and I'm interested in understanding more about why people feel so strongly about globalization.

Also, G.O.D. is form the UK ...

And did those feet in ancient times walk upon England's mountains green?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Yea it is a joke. And I've given up trying to argue with folks who think otherwise. It's pointless. I hope we can salvage this eleciton somehow and move on, but what scares me is that even then, in 4 years, it'll all return.

All I can tell you is hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

What is so bad about employment opportunity returning to the U.S.? If you support a minimum wage and high employment, then you can't support Hillary since her donors are in favour of unrestricted free-trade (which means you[they - U.S. workers] would be competing with the minimum wage of the poorest countries).

There are millions in the US who have exactly the opposite view as you. Individuals would always have reasons for their choices. But democracy is about net outcome of these collective individual decisions. And attempting to artificially affect (change) this net outcome is the main issue here

EDIT: Some are even saying the FBI may have broken the law

I seem to have the opposite impression - that they're going extremely soft on her simply because she is running for president. If they wanted to influence the election they could've pushed for a prosecution... They're being quite lenient so as to not be seen as meddling in the election.

But, I guess that in itself is meddling in an election -- allowing someone to avoid disqualification.

This is threading the boundary between doing something really careless/stupid and doing something criminal

Does doing something really really careless and stupid automatically make it a criminal act - because she is high profile and has lots of political enemies?

For prosecution to happen there has to be criminal intent - and that's a long shot

Brexit discussion in this thread is a distraction, but just to satisfy your curiosity;- at that time Brexit was a close call for me. With hindsight -> it was mis-sold and shouldn't have happened

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Voters in either camp made up their mind months ago (probably based on their economic situation).

Ratings today are based on "tabloid gossip" rather "real issues". Talk about issues instead of gossip and watch politics improve.

But first thing's first; unemployment has go down. If Hillary wasn't such a "Republican" :wink: and showed she was in favor of trade-restriction to promote job growth domestically, then she would win, no problem. But she doesn't want to oppose her biggest campaign donors.

Brexit

Give it some more time, and you'll be glad Brexit was a success. Strong local opportunity is very important in any country.

I don't see why millions of Americans would be in favor of unrestricted free-trade unless they didn't fully understand the consequences of globalization. Sure, you get cheap stuff immediately (short-term gain), but as industry starts leaving, your long-term employment prospects suffer (and I've witnessed this on both sides of the equation), which also affects taxes (so you end up keeping less of what you earn, unless you understand tax loopholes :wink:). There are countries right now that serve as an example/warning on how this can ruin a seemingly safe/strong economy. I could not in good conscience be in support of such a devastating outcome.

Once you solve the problem of unemployment (give back people their opportunity [and therefore their freedom]), then you can focus on other issues. I just wish Hillary wasn't doing the biding of her donors (who don't need any more congressional influence - they've done quite enough fleecing.).

But since we can't get off the topic of gossip: Did you miss this story? http://www.wsj.com/articles/clinton-ally-aids-campaign-of-fbi-officials-wife-1477266114

Or if you're not a WSJ subscriber: http://nypost.com/2016/10/24/clinton-ally-gave-500k-to-wife-of-fbi-agent-on-email-probe/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement