🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A snapshot history of Gamedev.net looks

Started by
20 comments, last by TheChubu 7 years, 9 months ago

Something about snowflakes as well.

Oh jeesh, and don't forget when Myopic Rhino made the website play Christmas music non-stop. :rolleyes:

Advertisement

The Black Theme. How I miss thee. :(

Funny you should mention that...

I liked the time where you could inject HTML and Javascript into the post directly, and it would execute on the main page because of the thread previews. I distinctly recall making revisions on posts and adding an unclosed comment tag to prevent the “edited at date” at the end of the post. Somewhere 2009-2010, I think. Something about snowflakes as well.

I forget which mod pooped his pants when we got javascript to make all the letters in a post look like an orbiting asteroid belt.

Ah. Good Times.

Is there a link to that or gif?

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

I also miss the dark theme. This one feels more professional/serious, the dark one had more of a "fun"/hobby feeling over it for me.

Yeah, lots of memories there. I remember stuff circa the February 2000 snapshot.

As I recall I actually ignored GDNet for the first couple of years I knew of it, for whatever stupid reasons. This is actually my second account here, I don't have any idea if my original still exists after all the transitions.

There's a version of the site out there that is the most sentimentally meaningful to me, but I wouldn't say it was necessarily better than the current site, just different.

As much as I like a good dose of nostalgia, I'd rather see GDNet continue to move forward than try and recapture any of the "old glory days" just for their own sake.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I don't have any idea if my original still exists after all the transitions.

It does in the database. I don't know which one is your other account, but our entire 17 year history of data has been preserved from version to version.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Well shit. Looks like my posts didn't make it though. (Not that there was anything worth keeping.)

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Looks like my posts didn't make it though.

They probably exist, but the account itself probably didn't keep track of its posts. It was probably 'post -> user' linked, rather than 'post <-> user' linked.

[Edit:] For example.

What's everyone's favorites? And why?

I'd just like a dark theme :3

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

What's everyone's favorites? And why?

I'd just like a dark theme :3

The Black Theme. How I miss thee. :(

Funny you should mention that...

@[member='TheChubu'], @[member='fastcall22'], may have you covered.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement