🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A snapshot history of Gamedev.net looks

Started by
20 comments, last by TheChubu 7 years, 8 months ago

For those who wish to reminisce or those who are simply curious at how the site has evolved over time.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000101000000*/http://gamedev.net

Advertisement
I remember all of them and it makes me feel old.

What's everyone's favorites? And why?

Admin for GameDev.net.

I liked the 2005 black and 2006 white because of the information density.

I know it is more common to have big fonts and lots of white space, but with the current forums by default I can only see about 3 posts on the screen at once. I used to have a custom CSS file that shrunk the white space to give about 4 posts at once but it became difficult to maintain after each site update.

Pulling at one nearly from random, contrast this conversation from 2005 with today's rendering of the same. In 2005 I could get the question and three full responses on my monitor. In 2016 I can fit the question and slightly more than one single response.

Oh, lol, I assumed those were going to be forum snapshots. I pretty much never use the main page so I don't actually have memories of most of those, despite being an active member of gamedev the whole time.

As far as the forums go, remember the version that used green crystals for some of the icons? I always wanted to see a black background version wit a more developed blue or violet crystal theme.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Oh, lol, I assumed those were going to be forum snapshots. I pretty much never use the main page so I don't actually have memories of most of those, despite being an active member of gamedev the whole time.

As far as the forums go, remember the version that used green crystals for some of the icons? I always wanted to see a black background version wit a more developed blue or violet crystal theme.

You will find that most of the snapshots will actually let you travel deeper into the website as it was at that time i.e. into forums and topics themselves.

Yeah, I found a post of my earlier self :)

Shows how much bloat the web stuff got without any merit.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

The Black Theme. How I miss thee. :(

As far as the forums go, remember the version that used green crystals for some of the icons?

I do actually. Old fart is I.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I liked the time where you could inject HTML and Javascript into the post directly, and it would execute on the main page because of the thread previews. I distinctly recall making revisions on posts and adding an unclosed comment tag to prevent the “edited at date” at the end of the post. Somewhere 2009-2010, I think. Something about snowflakes as well.

I liked the time where you could inject HTML and Javascript into the post directly, and it would execute on the main page because of the thread previews. I distinctly recall making revisions on posts and adding an unclosed comment tag to prevent the “edited at date” at the end of the post. Somewhere 2009-2010, I think. Something about snowflakes as well.

I forget which mod pooped his pants when we got javascript to make all the letters in a post look like an orbiting asteroid belt.

Ah. Good Times.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement