🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where do I start as a 2D artist?

Started by
14 comments, last by MobileGameGraphics.com 7 years, 7 months ago

Software for making 2D art:

Photoshop or Gimp or both if you want, for your pixel needs.(Gimp is the free one)

Krita, for digital painting, the brushes are amazing.

Inkscape for vector art. Gimp, Krita and Phothoshop can do vector, however they aren't vector focused.

Any 2D animation software(Spine 2d) or Any 3D animation software (Blender); It's easy to make 2D assets with 3D software.

Good List. Just wanting to add one of my favorite drawing tools:

Manga Studio 5 / Clip Studio Paint: its a tool meant for Manga/Comic artists, but it packs some tools that make it interesting for other 2D works. Its brush stabilization makes it great when working with crappy digitizers (like the old wacom digitizers employed by some windows tablets, or the MS Surface N-Trig solutions)... smooths out all the wonkyness and imperfections at the cost of a little bit more lag (which depending on how fast your strokes are, you will not even notice).

Also quite nice for coloring, even though many things of PS are missing (most notably working in more than 8bit color depth).

Then there are a ton of nice speedup tools for comic artists which might not interest you much.

Other aspects of the tool are less stellar, the algorithm for scaling is quite crappy, resulting in blurry lines once scaled (compared to the still perfectly crisp lines you get in PS after scaling), the layer options are limited (cannot transform layers as a group for example), and so on.

Given we are talking about a tool that costs 30-70$ (depending on sales and stuff) vs. the still quite expensive PS (even with the sub), not bad at all though as far as value goes.

Advertisement

Double post. I blame my slow internet today.

Much of the time, you'll be able to create the graphics in whatever tool you like. Or, you'll do the bulk of the work in one program, then transfer the nearly-finished assets to some other program.

One question you need to ask yourself though is are you going to be animating? If not, then just stick with Photoshop or whatever drawing program works for you. I personally like Photoshop, and do the majority of my game's graphics (which you can see in my sig - that's all in-game graphics) in that.

If you are going to be animating, then that's more complicated. Game animations, broadly speaking, can be pre-rendered or procedurally generated. I prefer pre-rendered, but both have their pros and cons. If you were to end up working on procedurally animated characters, then you might end up working in a program like Toon Boom Harmony, Spine, or Spriter. There, you'd create the individual bits (limbs, clothes, etc.) and rig them for export into the game engine.

If you were making pre-rendered animations, then you probably couldn't do much better than learning Toon Boom Harmony. It's used by Disney, among others. With Harmony, you draw your graphics straight into Harmony using its excellent (and quite natural-feeling) vector tools. Then you rig it and can export as PNG sequences that can be imported into game engines

If you want to learn Toon Boom Harmony, then I highly recommend the digitaltutors range of tutorials: http://www.digitaltutors.com/software/Toon-Boom-Harmony-tutorials

Are there any books or tutorials for 2D artists?

Sure, there is a mountain of them. I have about 20 Gb on my PC. Barely used ten of books so far) However, there are far less books which helps you learn how to draw specially for games.

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread
If dyou like pixelart (prresent in so many mobile apps) cosmigo promotion is great, just like your shown art. ;)

You should try to read this old thread. http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/visual-arts/the-total-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-better-2d-game-art-r2959. It's a step by step tutorials for beginners. Pretty old thread but pretty good tutorials.

Game Graphics | Pixel Art | Game Backgrounds | Tools | Tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement