🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How Long Do You Finish Games with Stories?

Started by
6 comments, last by conquestor3 7 years, 9 months ago

Hi guys,

Just wondering how long does it take for you to finish playing games with stories? For example, it takes 7 days until you finish (or decided to) end the game story of GTA V.

I know some of us prefer not to finish the game (... well some of my friends are, cause they just don't want to finish it in purpose). If this is your case, how long until you decide to finish it from the start?

When I was a teenager and still at school, I can finish multiple JRPGs with tons of freaking texts popping around within a few months. Now I tried playing FF XIII and I barely even have energy to play from one save game spot to the next one. :blink:

Advertisement

gameTime = 0

foreach session

gameTime += endTime - startTime

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

like many questions, it depends...

I tend to Always want to finish every possible thing (treasure seeker here) in a level, before I continue.

A rough guideline for AAA games is that single player campaigns take from 8 to 16 hours (also depending on difficulty level).

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

How long is a piece of string?

The answer is so dependent on the game as to be completely meaningless in the general sense.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

I agree that how much time it takes a person to play a game is pretty useless information. But it might be useful information to understand the amount of playtime that different demographics are willing or able to spend.

Though it took a couple tries to do so, back when I was a teenager I'd rent games (didn't have enough money to buy them) from the video store and I think I was able to get through FF3 on the Snes from start to finish within a weekend (<48 hours). Renting back in those days you'd always be hoping that you can get back to a game before someone else does and obliterates your save slot. Before I got married there were a few times that I'd try marathon gaming sessions like that but they wouldn't be enough to finish a game. Before the kids came I might on occasion have been able to spend 3 hours playing a game. Now that I'm a dad I might play something for an hour after they're in bed or maybe 20 minutes or so on the train while going to work.

So lately I usually just play games that are easy to pick up and put down at a moments notice. The last story RPG I've played was Doom & Destiny Advanced and I think it I played in those sessions of about an hour or 20 minutes long each for about 2 or 3 months before I got to what I think was the end of story update 2. Hadn't really gotten back into it though since update 3 came out.

Just so everyone is clarified, I'm not really asking how much time you play all games then make an average out of it. Of course, it varies. Just as specific as what was your last game and how long does it take until you finish it.

Like kseh is a nice example, plays hours of playing a game, but now needs more days to do so cause it's not 3 hours a day anymore, but 1 hour a day due to bringing kids to bed. His last game was Doom & Destiny and have 20 minutes - 60 minutes long and finally get to end of story update 2 after 2 - 3 months. Etc. That's probably much like my situation, except the kids one

I am also not asking this to learn how long should a campaign take to finish. If I wanna ask how long a campaign should take, I think I'll ask this in Game Design section. This is just a casual player-to-player question, no strings or survey attached. :rolleyes:

I just feel like I am in this "too old playing games" group (I deny that I am! but facts aren't telling me that I am not anymore :wacko:), and do other people felt the same? or they still play like no other (outside of testing your own game, that's for sure :P). For those who are younger (still in school/college), do you still have that much energy to finish games without being distracted with Facebook and stuff that stops you? :D

Oh, may not be directly related, but I found an old article that might be interesting, about why most people don't finish games.

I completed the main story of an RPG once. No, twice. I'm not a completionist, but I usually try to get my money's worth out of a product I've purchased. That said, it's all about the journey. I have a friend who is proud he hit the end game in Factorio in less than one session. I'm more proud I hit over 300 hours across two restarts and I'm still going.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

https://howlongtobeat.com/ tracks this kind of metric

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement