🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Week of Awesome IV - The after party/judging thread

Started by
125 comments, last by rodolfodth 7 years, 10 months ago

And at last, my review of Ruins of the Risen, based on what I believe is the final-submission version:

[spoiler]

Ruins of the Risen is a top-down shooter; the player-character is searching amongst some sort of ruins for sign of their son, battling through seemingly-endless hordes of monsters to find randomly-placed clues.

In the previous version that I played, I struggled to figure out where I was and what was going on--this version is far more manageable, I do believe, and thus rather more fun! As far as I played, the gunplay seemed fairly solid and engaging.

The lighting is pretty dark, and the screen pretty busy, with a contrast between walls and floor that I feel was perhaps a bit low. All of this combined, I believe, to make it a little difficult for me to get a sense of my surroundings. A slightly less-cluttered backdrop, with a starker contrast between walls and floor, might have aided my navigation of the levels. Nevertheless, I generally managed to make my way around, albeit with some stumbling about.

The player-character moves very fast; while this does mean that enemies can be easily outrun, I found the character to move so fast that I sometimes felt a little out of control, and all too often zipped into barely-noticed traps. That said, the movement controls seem to me to be overall rather responsive.

On the other hand, the firing controls are a little iffy, to my mind. The character continues to fire while the mouse-button is held, as one might expect, but doing so prevents the player from moving the aiming reticule, which I found to be a bit of a nuisance. One can fire using the space-bar instead, which doesn't incur this restriction (why this difference?), but that doesn't feel quite as natural to me as using the mouse-button.

As to the enemies, the game is dark enough that I'm not entirely confident of how many types I saw during my play-through; I'm not sure of whether I like that or not. I'm aware of two: a thing that looked a bit like a horseshoe crab (which I gather was a "darkworm"), and what seemed to be zombies ("risen minions"). Individually, none makes for much of a threat--but they're seldom encountered individually, and a player who is careless, or who remains in one place for too long, can quite easily be overrun.

I do have one significant critique regarding the enemies: it seems that they can spawn right on top of the player, which can make for some frustrating encounters, I feel. I think that I would have preferred that there be a minimum distance at which they may spawn, allowing the player more time to respond.

There are a number of weapons available, of which I believe that I found three (above the starting weapon): a rocket launcher, a machine gun, and a laser. All seemed to work fairly well.

Finally, I encountered a few bugs, I believe:

First, the last button pressed during a cutscene seems to remain "pressed" as far as the game is concerned, until--I think--either the button is pressed and released again, or certain events clear it. On the plus side, this can somewhat ameliorate the problem of the mouse-button preventing mouse-aiming. On the minus side, one cutscene occurs during gameplay, and tends to pop up while I'm moving, and thus resulted in my character speeding across the screen a few times, ending up right next to a saw-blade.

Second, I had a few cases in which I restarted a level to be greeted by the "you are dead" message and no control over the character; pressing escape to bring up the "quit" menu and then cancelling that dialogue seemed to fix the problem.

[/spoiler]

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Advertisement

First of all, this is perhaps the prettiest entry in the entire set! The game itself seems to be one of turn-based tactical combat, around which is wrapped an interesting narrative.

Thanks! My artist made the character art and narrative. I did the background art, which the artist later made a few passes on (the jars, spider webs, and etc...).

As to the gameplay, it was reasonably fun, but seemed to me to lack much depth: there seemed to be little difference between the summons, and little to choose between their abilities; simply hitting enemies and healing or buffing repeatedly got me through everything. It is, however, very possible that I missed some degree of tactical depth.

You didn't miss anything. Originally, enemies were going to have more than one move, and each summon would have different stats and a different special-move. Those couldn't make it in within the timeframe, though.

I encountered one bug, I believe: during one of the fights, the visual positions of the enemies seemed to not line up with their logical positions, interfering with selection.

Yea. It was on the final day when I was importing all the art, that I realized the artist hadn't centered the art, and that different sprites had different image sizes, throwing off every image. Rather than manually setting an origin on each sprite, I just popped open ImageMagick and padded out the images to be the same widths (*facepalm* I forgot the heights), with the images roughly centered on their feet by guesswork and so might be off by 20 pixels or so (*facepalm x2* and would be significantly off when the image gets flipped, come to think)

Thank you for the review!

You didn't miss anything. Originally, enemies were going to have more than one move, and each summon would have different stats and a different special-move. Those couldn't make it in within the timeframe, though.

Aah, that's a pity. I think that I might have rather enjoyed your combat mechanic if there had been a bit more to it. :/

Yea. It was on the final day when I was importing all the art, that I realized the artist hadn't centered the art, and that different sprites had different image sizes, throwing off every image. Rather than manually setting an origin on each sprite, I just popped open ImageMagick and padded out the images to be the same widths (*facepalm* I forgot the heights), with the images roughly centered on their feet by guesswork and so might be off by 20 pixels or so (*facepalm x2* and would be significantly off when the image gets flipped, come to think)

Ah, jam-hacks strike again! :/

Heh, I'm starting to wonder whether any of my own hacks will produce unforeseen issues...

(I remembered one oversight just a short while ago--I forgot to re-enable the mouse being constrained to the window--hopefully it won't cause any problems! ^^; )

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Slicer,

Sorry it is late, but here is a link to the postmortem post I wrote.

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/2220/entry-2262195-woa-2016-team-bytetroll-postmortem/

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

I have now finished playing and writing about all the submitted games, you can find the rest of the reviews here: http://darkdroid.com/

I must say that I am impressed by the amount of games submitted, the variery of games, and the overall quality of the entries - especially considering these games were created during a 7 day period. I can easily see at least a couple of these released as successful commercial titles if the authors were so inclined.

Good job everyone!

EDIT: I had a little trouble with some of the games, if authors can offer me some hints I will revisit their game and change my review accordingly!

Gamedev journal: http://darkdroid.com

Homepage: http://www.kodingnights.com

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/kodingnights

Thanks for the review, DK!

I have now finished playing and writing about all the submitted games, you can find the rest of the reviews here: http://darkdroid.com/

I must say that I am impressed by the amount of games submitted, the variery of games, and the overall quality of the entries - especially considering these games were created during a 7 day period. I can easily see at least a couple of these released as successful commercial titles if the authors were so inclined.

Good job everyone!

EDIT: I had a little trouble with some of the games, if authors can offer me some hints I will revisit their game and change my review accordingly!

The death screen hints that you can skip the intro with escape ;)
For strategies, I'll post my usual walkthrough next week :)

Ah, thank you very much for the review, DKoding! It's appreciated! ^_^

I'm sorry to read that you found it so difficult! While I had intended for it to be tough, I didn't realise that it was quite so hard. :/

(For what it's worth, I find the game challenging, but not impossible--but then I made it--and did put out a few prototypes hoping for feedback. I gather that the chat room--which I decided to not join--was a better place for feedback on prototypes than the competition thread?)

A few hints, if I may:

On clearing out the enemies:

[spoiler]

Don't attempt to kill all of your foes: that's infeasible, as they keep spawning. (The exceptions being two rooms in which you'll find yourself locked in until you clear the enemies spawned within--but those cases produce a limited number of foes.)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

Move around, manoeuvre: you're much faster than the enemies.

[/spoiler]

On the use of the shield:

[spoiler]

It's a matter of positioning and timing, I think:

- Put your back against a wall--or better yet, a corner--to avoid being surrounded

- Watch your enemies to look for opportunities to attack

- Watch your shield to see when attacks land (this can be particularly useful against the ranged enemies, I feel, as they attack with a quite distinct pattern)

[/spoiler]

More generally:

[spoiler]

As with the shield, I think that timing is important in the use of the sword: your attack is fairly slow, so attack when given the opening. Spamming the attack-button may well get you killed.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

If you're in trouble, drop everything, run away, and turn down the light--then run away again!

Why run a second time? Because the enemies may have followed you to the last point at which they saw you.

During this time, listen for approaching foes--and if any do get near, turn up the lights and deal with them, whether by running or fighting.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

Sometimes it's worth simply running for the exit to the next room!

[/spoiler]

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Good job everyone!

Thanks for the review!

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Good job everyone!

Great reviews! thanks for the feedback!

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement