🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unity 3D pricing structure changes - Whats your opinion?

Started by
25 comments, last by BinaryOrange 8 years ago

And here why all talks Unity and UE4 they could go for a fine rendering engine like Ogre3D or a full game engine for free Torque 3D

Both tools are given to you under the very liberal MIT license. No royalties, no pay per seats. Of course one would need to put in a bit more efforts and work to make it all click together but that would also make the user/developer develop some very useful skills along the way/trip :D

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Advertisement

OT: Ive never looked into ogre or torque. Are they full engines with toolchains, bits and bobs for animators, musicians, etc, a level designer, physics editors?

... or is it just a 3D renderer?

I think Godot looks nice:
https://godotengine.org/features#design

OT: Ive never looked into ogre or torque. Are they full engines with toolchains, bits and bobs for animators, musicians, etc, a level designer, physics editors? ... or is it just a 3D renderer?

Ogre is just a 3D renderer. And a very dated one at that, though they are making solid progress on updating it. Torque is a more complete game engine, but it hasn't been commercially supported in many years.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Panda3D is another one that I've come across several times before on various projects.

But really one needs to sit down and look over their project and budgets. What are you trying to do? What tools do you need to effectively achieve that? What is it worth to you?

Unity and Unreal are very competitively priced these days for getting actual work done given what you get from them.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

And here why all talks Unity and UE4 they could go for a fine rendering engine like Ogre3D or a full game engine for free Torque 3D

Both tools are given to you under the very liberal MIT license. No royalties, no pay per seats. Of course one would need to put in a bit more efforts and work to make it all click together but that would also make the user/developer develop some very useful skills along the way/trip :D

Integrating ogre with other middleware to make a game engine made plenty of sense, back when Unreal costed 1M + 500K per platform or something in that range. Covering the cost of unity is covering a salary amounting to what, 2 hour of work per month for a single person? These make no financial sense anymore.

The biggest problem with Unity's new pricing is what has already been pointed out in the first post. People developing for PC pay more than they used to, while people developing for more platforms effectively pay less. That just seems backwards to me.

I was a pretty heavy user of Unity, but after 4.6 I felt like it was heading in the wrong direction. Definitely still a great engine, but it wasn't for me anymore. I found Godot to be much easier in terms of the scripting language, and the features it has are pretty stellar. The 3D engine does still need work, but the 2D engine (the one i do most of my work in) is exceptional.

Follow my blog for programming tidbits!
Follow my twitter for no real reason!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement