🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What phone should I get?

Started by
23 comments, last by frob 7 years, 10 months ago

Ubuntu Phone:
I might probably wait for the next release If I'm going with this one. Other the high spec, multi tasking, camera, what else does Ubuntu have that makes it different?

Ubuntu phones (and tablets) offer what no other device does: convergence. That is, you can add a keyboard, mouse, and external monitor and you have a laptop. You can develop natively right on the device with a full desktop environment, then pick it up and go and catch up on email and messages while you travel.

I use one as my every day phone, I'm happy with it. Of course, I also develop for it, but I have separate devices for that.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Advertisement
I vastly prefer my Lumia Icon's WP8.1 interface to any Android- or iOS-based device I've tried. I use it as a phone/mapping/authentictor and don't play any games on it.

Using it as a phone is nice - great audio quality. Using it as a mapping/GPS navigator is great (you can download maps so that you can navigate/search even if you lose your data connection out in the middle of nowhere).

The only problem I've had with the phone so far is I broke its headphone jack somehow :(

I've been an exclusive Windows Phone user for the past few years, so I'd recommend you at least don't rule them out. There's some really nice low/mid range models available which are astonishing value for what you get. Depending where you're from you can also get some nice contracts (which would admittedly be true of any phone): pick up a SIM-free Lumia, pick up a SIM-only deal; I'm on effectively unlimited voice and texts, 20gb data and no hassle about tethering, for €25 per month. That's not too bad at all.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Hopefully I can reply to this thread before it gets closed too :)
If you want to make money selling overpriced applications, sure go with IOS - but does that revenue even include ad money (which tends to be better as well as more common on Android, due to being massively more popular)?
This is also missing a point: if you want maximum revenue, one shouldn't limit yourself to one platform anyway. But I think the OP is asking about his personal choice of a phone, with the possibility of getting into programming. For personal use there are other considerations for development choices. For starters you can only develop for IOS with Apple computers, so for personal use that's now dictating what computers you have. I also like the market with 85% share - whether that's seeing millions of downloads, or just being able to share with people and having most people be able to run it (rather than it being limited to only people with the same make of phone as you).
Lastly, one can just as well pluck up references that show it's actually Windows Phone that beats either Android or Iphone ( http://betanews.com/2016/02/29/windows-phone-developer-revenue/ ) (I suspect the issue is that despite fewer users than either, there are also fewer competing applications; plus maybe they spend more too.)
Programming choices may also depend on what you're used to: Ubuntu obviously seems more natural if you run Ubuntu on PCs anyway (and you probably need Ubuntu to develop with?); Windows Phone uses the same languages/tools as Windows 10 development, and uses tools like Visual Studio - and requires a Windows PC; Iphone development requires an Apple computer; Android is probably most flexible in that you can develop on Windows/OS X/Linux. But I guess it also depends on whether you want to try something completely new anyway.
Personally I prefer smartphones to feature phones, I've had Nexuses and found them great (currently with the Nexus 6). They've traditionally had a more developer-oriented focus. The Samsung Galaxy S series are traditionally the crown of smartphones, but if you want something not so expensive, the Nexuses tend to be better value too (especially the 5s), whilst still being decent.

If you want a smartphone, don't get a blackberry. They're basically circling the drain.
Blackberrys run Android now, so he get a phone with the keyboard he likes, whilst still running Android, and not being limited due to a platform dying.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

So now I'm just trying to choose on out of :
iPhone (I will probably get something that is 1 version older than the current release, trying to save up for college) also I have an iPad and have access to a mac so yeah.

Nexus 6 / Samsung J8:
I also have a windows pc to use if incase I decide to go with Android.

Well it always ends up choosing one of the top os.

Are you actually going to code on your phone? I would never want to do that, even when equipped with a fullsize keyboard. A phone is a phone. A smartphone is as far as I'd like to use it for.

Are you actually going to code on your phone? I would never want to do that, even when equipped with a fullsize keyboard. A phone is a phone. A smartphone is as far as I'd like to use it for.

Well, a phone with a full size keyboard, mouse, and external monitor is a more powerful computer than we had just a few years ago sitting on our desks or on racks in the server room, and they're only getting more powerful. Some of the new devices we're playing with at work are 64-bit ARM processors with 4 GB of RAM which is more powerful than the main dev machine I had 5 years ago.

What's your argument against using it for the same things as other similar computers?

Stephen M. Webb

Ubuntu Phone:
I might probably wait for the next release If I'm going with this one. Other the high spec, multi tasking, camera, what else does Ubuntu have that makes it different?

Ubuntu phones (and tablets) offer what no other device does: convergence. That is, you can add a keyboard, mouse, and external monitor and you have a laptop. You can develop natively right on the device with a full desktop environment, then pick it up and go and catch up on email and messages while you travel.

Windows Phone has had this for a bit now, I believe they beat Ubuntu to market with it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17280/windows-10-mobile-continuum

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3065895/windows/windows-continuum-how-i-survived-a-week-using-a-windows-10-phone-as-my-pc.html

Personally I hated my Windows 8.1 equipped Lumia 1020, and my Galaxy S7 is okay but nothing special. I prefer iOS slightly to Android as a user, and security is much better on the iOS side. As a developer, I wish that I could pretend the Android platform didn't exist because it's shockingly terrible. I'll probably switch back to my iPhone 6 as my personal phone soon. I would like to try a Windows 10 phone but haven't had an excuse to expense one yet.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Look up how much a replacement screen is for each phone, and add that to your price estimates now, so you've accounted for this cost when you drop it on concrete later :lol:

Ubuntu Phone:

Windows Phone has had this for a bit now, I believe they beat Ubuntu to market with it.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17280/windows-10-mobile-continuum
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3065895/windows/windows-continuum-how-i-survived-a-week-using-a-windows-10-phone-as-my-pc.html

Nope, the Ubuntu phones started shipping before Microsoft even revealed their Continuum plans.

Nevertheless, they're not comparable, because the Microsoft phones are still not a full desktop, they only run a very limited set of applications. I can run The GIMP, LibreOffice, Firefox, and Unity-3D on my Ubuntu phone just like on my desktop, and they run just fine. In fact, I can install *anything* that runs on Ubuntu on my desktop or phone if the developers have bothered building for ARM not just x86 (Steam, I'm looking at you).

Stephen M. Webb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement